help to get a "vintage" worn finish

jsc

Hello, i'm completely new to all of this but i want to make my current guitar, an epiphone lp, look much older than it actually is. It's finish is in perfect condition and i was wondering if there is a way to fade it and make it look older giving it that "vintage" worn look. I dont just want to put dents in it as one helpful friend suggested!

As i said i'm compleletly new to all of this so if you use any terms, please could you provide a guide as to what they mean! sorry! :D

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this,

JSC

JC,

Not bashing your idea, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Every time I see an artist on TV playing a beat-up guitar, I think "there's a phony beat-up guitar or the guitarist doesn't know how to take care of the guitar".

Same holds for shotgun and rifle stocks. I beat the heck out of my first skeet gun but with experience learned how to be "conscience" of caring for it. I bought a second gun and shot it for years; never acquired the slightest mar.

Rick

Every time I see an artist on TV playing a beat-up guitar, I think "there's a phony beat-up guitar or the guitarist doesn't know how to take care of the guitar".

So damn what dude!! Everytime I see an artist play a pink guitar I think he's gay or the guitarist doesn't know how to look cool :D

Just kidding, but anyways, time to clear things up. A lot of old vintage Fender guitars for instance are of poor quality (neck pocket filled with paint, bad setup etc), but only because they're so old they are expensive and very sought after. Trust me, I have played several old guitars, 50's fenders and even Gibsons. There are some real gems between those, but you have to look hard!

A lot of modern guitars are just setup better, hardware is better, no buzzing pickups etc. But if you like the looks of a vintage guitar, and you want the parts to work like new, why not make a relic and age the hardware and finish. The sound won't change, only the appearance. So relic-ing a guitar is as much the same as giving it a new paintjob, material top, flame top etc etc.

I love to have a floyd rose on my les paul, but are you going to whine again because my les paul will look phony, because real LP's have stoptails and TOMs? Get a life (not meaning you Rick, just people in general who bash others taste and styles).

Part of what made the old guitars look so different was the finish that they used. If you want that old look, you could sand off the new finish, then refinish it with a couple heavy coats of Spar Varnish... the thick stuff we use on canoe paddles.

I'm not saying it will be pretty, but it will look more like a relic.

D~s

Make a search on "relicing" there's a couple of threads here on it.

There have been a few threads recently discussing relicing...

Mostly in regards to Kiwi shoe polish,

salty water, fire...check out the british flag/explosion guitar that's been on here recently...

I don't think it looks good either, but do what you want and show us the pics as you do it!!!!

And let us know what works and what doesn't...

Thanks.

:D