Are teiscos rare?

They are not real rare although there are some rare® models. Most can be bought for under $100 and I don't pay more unless it's an exceptional guitar or bass in pristine shape. If you have another source such as a pawn shop I'd go that route as most of the Teisco sellers on ebay think it's OK to charge $40 or $50 for shipping. WATCH THE SHIPPING CHARGES!! I have emailed several of the more prominent Teisco sellers on ebay and they justify the outrageous shipping by claiming they clean, inspect and set the guitar up. If I'm buying a 40 year old guitar I can do that myself - and I expect to!

The prices on ebay have climbed considerably this summer for some reason. I imagine there must be a peak in interest in older guitars right now. If you can find one in good shape and get it for around $100-$125 you're doing good.

They are cool guitars and 2 of the 3 I have play well and have survived the years in fairly good shape. I have 2 hollow bodies and a solid body. I have one hollow body apart right now for a new paint job that you can see in the "60's Teisco Restoration" thread in "In Progress Work".

they're great little vintage guitars, but don't pay over $200, there known for excessive amount of coloured knobs :D

Sorry to complain about grammar/spelling/punctuation, but between [$200] and ["there" known...] would be a good place to put a full stop, to make the post more easily understandable. Right now, it seems like you shouldn't pay more than $200, because these guitars are known for having many colored knobs...

fine! i. will. use. more. punctuation. in. my; posts!

okay that made my day! :D

I own a sears teisco - worth 75 bucks.

I've seen some spectrums go for about 125 to 400+ (this was a spectrum 4) - probably because it had precision style guitar pickups and 5 buttons with 5 knobs.

Old guitars are in demand thanks to this stupid new genre of bands like the vines, the white stripes, the hives, the walking eyeballs, etc who claim they're bringing back old rock, and they buy old equpiment like teisco, eko (which are back in business btw), airline, valco, saturn, etc to show off that they're so vintage or whatever (lame i know)....i'll just say one thing about this genre - how can you bring back old rock when old rock is still around? Neil Young released an album last year and John Fogerty just released one in september! Btw, AC/DC, Rush, Bob Dylan, and many others are still around, and last time I checked Keith Richards isn't dead yet (probably sleeps upside down adding 10 years to his life which is probably why he cannot be killed by conventional weapons)

I saw on ebay a 1962 Airline go for sale (same one Jack White from the white stripes uses, prolly a diff. year) and they're only worth 200 bucks at the most, and it sold for 1000 USD. Also if you check out music123 Eastwood is selling reissues of these guitars. I think it stinks but who knows - if all these vintage guitars go up maybe newer ones will come down :D

-Jamie B)

I am very much into these types of guitars. I bought a sears guitar 10 years ago for about $50 and it's now work over $300 dollars. I also refinsihed an old Decca that I bought for $30 off eBay. I've seen them go for about $200. That is, if someone is willing to pay that much.

What I was wondering is, how in the world does Eastwood Guitars make and sell reproductions so cheap? They must be made overseas. You can get a killer Teisco for $500! Does anyone know where these are made at?

Eastwood Guitars

Here's a pic of my old Decca!

decca5.jpg

Will show a picture of my teisco as soon as I get it up. This is almost the exact same of what I got except the logo on mine is a thick hologram, theres no label, and there's a humbucker in between the single coils (which I find weird) the whammy bar is different as well since my Uncle lost it, however he improvised and added a real killer whammy. To show you how killer it is until I get a picture up - I took it to the 12th fret who are experts when it comes to vintage guitars (popular among north america) and they told me that the guitar is worth 75 bucks but they'd give me an extra 25 for the whammy bar haha.

Those eastwoods are probably made overseas, but I wouldn't buy one since it doesn't fit the look I like. I'd take the airline body and paint it a nice satin black and add some deep low sounding pickups to it. Other than that I hope they go bankrupt haha. Are those eastwoods made of wood or fibreglass like the originals?

I do like the old vintage guitars but the problem I have is when they start selling on ebay much more than they're worth. Like this 550 for a spectrum 5 reissue? I wouldn't buy it. I'd rather get the LP I'm dieing to have right now haha.

-Jamie :D

yea the eastwoods were made in korea, south id imagine :D, but yea they're good gutiars but i would never pay $700 fro the airline reissue when the original fiberglass one is only $300 more (not that they're worth 1000). i remember the good ole days, last summer when those guitars were going for like $400 (almost got one!) but the reissues won't sound anything like the original (diff pickups, pots etc.) if you have any questions you should really e-mail mike robinson, his e-mails on the myrareguitars.com site, he'll most likely respond within 5 mins (hes always online as his buisness relies on it)

Alright I got my images up of my teisco. Sorry if they're terrible, but hey i got a cheesy camera for a reason lol.

I think the humbucker was added by my uncles friend cause when you look at it, it's on an angle, plus the teiscos I see never have these. This is a Sears guitar actually made by Teisco/Silvertone. No name but inspected by vintage professionals and done with a bit of research as well. You can tell its sears by the hologram. Don't you just love the whammy bar? See you don't need to spend money on a bigsby replacement!

Also included is another vintage guitar - Eko violin/beatle bass. This is my dad's. Les Claypool loves these momma jommas. Eko seems to be back in business but they're producing strat and les paul knockoffs.

Neck

body

Eko

-Jamie :D

hey ziki, just my two cents worth here. one of the major attractions for the teisco and especially the del rey models are the pickups which you say are missing on the one you're looking at. people buy them just for the pickups and then put them in lap steels.

(might have actually done that myself) without the pickups my opinion is that they're just another cheap japanese guitar. the electronics aren't that great and the pickups were generally top mounted and the bodies very thin making it hard to mount a standard sized pup.

in full working order they're pretty cool guitars with a funky little sound. without the pups they're not much use.

again, just my two cents worth.