First time Finishing, need help

Rhavin

Ok, basically i've only played guitar for 3 months, and was wanting to paint my fender strat orange. I was just going to pay a place until they said it would be 225 dollars. So i would like to strip the finish and paint, paint it, and finish myself, but i really have no clue as to where to even start. I dont even know how to take off all the parts or put them back on for that matter (i couldnt even put in my new pickups by myself). I know there are a lot of guides on the site, but its hard to piece them together so i was wondering if anyone could help me with this and explain better or provide a good tutorial or something. I realize i would require A LOT of learning, but any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated and i would be very grateful.

well, to take off the strings you could just cut them. Either that or by the tuners, unwind them till there real lose and pull them off. Should come off. Then if you want the pickgaurd off, learn to solder. You need to desolder the two wires going from the input jack thru the body to the electronics. To get off the input jack, unsrew the 2 screws. Then desolder the wires. After your done that, unscreww all the screws near the edge of the pickgaurd and lift it off the guitar and place it somewere safe away from your guitar. For removing the bridge i will get a pick of inside the trem cavity and guide you thru it.

untitled.jpg

You should also desolder the ground wire that goes to the trem.Forgot to add that :D . But if you dont know how to solder practice and be carefull. When your done with all that you should be able to pull the trem thru the top of the guitar body.

Im sure someone has some corrections or better methods then me. But this has always worked for me.

Edited by AlGeeEater

Rhavin, First of all, I wouldn't recommend you doing this if you aren't up to the small mechanix involved. I'm in NO way trying to disrespect you with this but, IF you were a little more mechanically inclined, I'd so go for it. Get a Book on guitar repair and bone up on it for a while, I can't Recommend "Guitar Player Repair Guide" By Dan Erlewine Enough, as it has all the nuts and bolts needed to understand many aspects of the guitar and If you're still game, "Build Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock, he walks you thru building 4 complete guitars and it's easy to understand also

Secondly, $225. isn't bad at all to completely repaint your guitar. I think it's very reasonable anyway.

The "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan the Man is the first book I ever got on guitar repair/construction. You simply can't beat the fretting section in that book. Dan's the best fretter I know. After I read that book all the way through 3 or 4 times, and sections that interested me about 9 times, I started having fun. I found this site a few months after I started doing repair. You've got to know what you're getting yourself into before you start the work. If you don't think ALL the way through the project, something will come up and ruin your day. Been there, done that. A book (or books) is definitely the best thing to get you introduced. Lots of information in one place. The internet's good for getting extremely specific, but there's no way I would try a build without a book for reference.

I usualy say go for it but if you are asking about how to take the strings out or the bridge, I will do what PerryL and StonesCreed, learn how to work on a guitar first. The 225 is a reasonable quote if they are painting with the 2 part automotive polyurethane. And to take the strings outjust loosen the tuners, the strings hold a lot of tension and you can mess the neck by releasing it too fast.

In this page you will find all you need to know about setting up your guitar.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

this and a book on how to will be all you need, then browse thru the painting tutorials on the other pages ar in the link that Algee give you!