Joining Pieces For A Neckthrough

I'm currently contemplating building a necktrough guitar, but I would not have easy access to the "big tools" that I often see in descriptions about glueing two pieces of wood together.

I might be able to get my wood already planed on the sides where I need it, but I would very much prefer to be able to do it myself, but, once again, without the big expensive tools.

So what I'm asking is how would I go about planing/jointing (is jointing the right word? I don't really know, I've seen it around, but I don't really know what it refers to) big pieces of wood with some rather simple tools.

I would think that if I could get one piece of wood (say 2"x4"x16" or so) planed on one side, I could use that (and some sanding paper) to do the other pieces. Would that work?

I've done it a couple different ways. You can secure your piece, (body wing or neck blank) in a bench vise, use two pieces of smooth scrap on either side to avoid indenting, ie. wood sandwich :D , and run over the surfaces to be glued with a long rigid sanding block. Another method is to staple a long length of sandpaper onto a flat surface, (check with straight edge) and then secure a vertical fence (check w/ carpenter's square) as a guide on top of the sandpaper. Its VERY important to ensure that both sanding surface AND fence are free of warps and positioned square with each other. I have to mention that a certain amount of proficiency is required to do this right. That is, sanding with discipline and constantly checking your work with a straightedge and square can't be stressed enough. Its very easy to "over correct" one area.

If you are working with surfaces that are noticibly out of whack ie. can see w/ out the aid of straightedge/square, then you can rough things in with a long wood plane before sanding.

Edited by Southpa

Why don't you plane everything to right thickness and then glue everything together.

As wood is glued and clambed together it will move and work.....to prevent this, you could clamb two large falt pieces of wood on either side. Use wax paper to prevent flat clambing wood to glue to guitar wood.

Planning to thickness with sandpaper would take for ever. You could also plane with router. Look at this thread for example:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...opic=8792&st=15

Good luck!!

Edited by RGGR

Planning to thickness with sandpaper would take for ever.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I thought the original poster was asking about how to prep the "pieces" ie. body wings and neckblank edges for a good fit. I prefer to leave the other surfaces alone until its all assembled. Then I just hit it with a DA or hand held belt sander while checking w/ calipers and straight edge.

Edited by Southpa

Oh! Then I miss undertood. He was talking about planing/jointing. Couldn't really make of story what he wanted.

For joining.......nice sharp cut and then little sanding. Although some advice against sanding.

No proffesional equipment needs there, some good old clambs, glue and you're in business.

Well, I was kind of talking about both the issues you guys mentioned, but primarily the one that RGGR didn't touch. But any advice is appreciated!

So now I know it can be done. Then I just have to decide on woods, and figure out how much I need, and find a place to get it, and get it, and [i hope you get the point]

Thanks for the advice!

These things can get confusing at times. Cause these thing intermingle during your built. In building my neck:

I first cut a maple blank into laminates. Then I plained the laminates, and joined them together again by glueing. Then planed the whole lot again leaving a nice laminated neck blank.

For plaining some "expensive" equipment comes handy. Lots of sanding, or router set up would work too. (More elaborate.)

For joining or glueing, you just need some clambs, some glue, and some patience.

Good luck G_urr_A