Which Neckjoin/Wood Combo?

Jivin

Which Neckjoint/Wood Comob do you think is best for a rock/metal guitar?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

*also keep in mind the fingerboard will be ebony and the pickups are EMG 81/SA/60*

Hi,

Soon i'm going to get Perry to commence building my 'dream' guitar and i'm having a bit of difficulty in deciding on wood/neck joint combo for the best balanced tone.

I'm not really quite familiar with the tonal propertires of alder, besides that people say its 'balanced' B) Can anyone give me an opinion on what it is like compared to Mahogany?

I have all mahogany cort guitar here that I dont mind, however I would like it to have a bit more bite and clarity... however I certainly dont want to go overboard and end up at the other exreme... with a guitar thats too bitey and doesnt have decent bass response and all that. I suppose my confusion was compounded a bit because the different neck joints also introduce more maple into the equasion... so really im just after some opinions?

Also, to open pandoras box a smidge, on top of that people like the grand mastah of the world and universe Ed Roman say that Deep Set Neck Tenon joints are the best, over say... set-in neck joints... one of his reasons for this was that glue did not transfer sound well.... I dont get that at all - doesn't the deep set tenon method require you to glue in the tenon as well?

I could go any way right now, but I guess im probably leaning towards an mahogany body with a maple deep set tenon. My thinking is that even with the mahogany body, the maple neck with the extra long tenon and the ebony fingerboard will keep the tone in check.

Sorry for the long pointless post, i hope someone can settle me down! :D

Cheers folks,

- Dan

i think from your description that you are looking for an alder ,maple neckthrough with the ebony board and the 81 at the bridge

for a little bit of an example this is the same combination that kirk hammett,jeff hanneman,and many many others in the genre use

also alder and maple are a great combination for a good clean as well...and the bottom end in alder is not lacking,at is just more "focused" than mahogany...

as if the bottom end is just as noticeable,but doesn't last as long...

imagine mahogany as a jalapeno pepper based salsa...the heat is great,but it just lasts so damn long,burning your lips long after the enjoyment has stopped.

and alder is wasabi...you taste it and before you can even say "damn that's hot!" the heat fades away and you are left thinking" was it really that hot?

the bottom end is there,it is just very tight

Thanks guys, I really value your input

Do you have an opinion on the extra long tenon neck joint vs a neck through? If its what I think I should be going for, i'll pay Perry the extra to go for a neck-through, but due to it being less of a pain, its less for the long tenon joint...

Dont get me wrong... im not trying to cut corners, just sussing it all out :D

Lovely, looks like Alder body with the maple deep set tenon joint is what ill go for, which funnily enough is what I had penciled in before I started this thread :D

Thanks again for the input, its invaluable.

- Dan