Painting Stripes

Hello. I'd like to add a few stripes across the corner of my new-build tele without botching it up. My plan has been to tape the whole guitar off with newspaper and just leave the striped area exposed. I guess I'm just looking for any suggestions on how long to let it dry before peeling back the tape - or any other suggestions if this is a bad idea all together. I'm guessing if it fully cures, I'll rip off more than I bargained for. Also, any suggestions on specific tapes would be much appreciated.

The base color is a cream, and the stripe will be black. It'll be across the corner, very similar to the old mustang racing stripes. And I'm using acrylic lacquer automotive paints in rattle cans. Thanks for any help.

Dave

lay the base coat, in this case cream, then carefuly tape the stripe that you want, I use 1/2" tape for this and separate them the thickness of the stripe that I want. Once that's done, take the paper you will use to cover the rest of the body, I don't recomend news paper because if you saturate it it will bleed thru! take the paper and lay it on a table and put a stripe of tape along the edge, leaving about 1/4" out. tape this to the tapes that you already have on the body to cover to prevent over spray! now you are ready to paint the stripes. Dust the coats, this will help the paint not bleed thru the paper or the tapes. Once this is done and the stripes look solid, wait about 15 min and carefuly peel the tape going away from the paint. After about 1/2hr use a tack cloth and run it over the stripes, this will remove any hard edge that might have been build up. Now you are ready to shot the clear, ...happy painting.

BEcause unless you have those nice 8 or 10" wide tapes it's more difficult than using the paper! Also, I don't want t otape the whole thing and have it pull a piece of paint by mistake, I think that the less tape you have over the base coat, the less risk to mess up, especialy on spray can paint. I I was using 2 part poly it will be a whole different story!

BEcause unless you have those nice 8 or 10" wide tapes it's more difficult than using the paper! Also, I don't want t otape the whole thing and have it pull a piece of paint by mistake, I think that the less tape you have over the base coat, the less risk to mess up, especialy on spray can paint. I I was using 2 part poly it will be a whole different story!

I used a standard low-stick painter's tape to mask off the entire body of the Telecaster when I was striping it, save for the spots I wanted to paint blue...didn't pull of a thing on the entire body.

Good for you, I rather not take the risk... I use metalic paint, and in the case of my LP the mirage color changing paint, one little piece that gets lifted, and it's a complete REDO! I seen a very large tape, like the one used on the auto industry for the custom jobs that you just lay on top of the outline tape and then cut over your out line and peel the part you want painted. I will see if I can get my hands on some of this and let you know how it turns out.

Good for you, I rather not take the risk... I use metalic paint, and in the case of my LP the mirage color changing paint, one little piece that gets lifted, and it's a complete REDO! I seen a very large tape, like the one used on the auto industry for the custom jobs that you just lay on top of the outline tape and then cut over your out line and peel the part you want painted. I will see if I can get my hands on some of this and let you know how it turns out.

Valid point, Maiden69...

• 1 year later...