25.5 Scale Neck Through Blank

DaveK

A question that is sligthtly related to the topic:

Is it an OK idea to build a neck yourself, and fret it yourself, but have a shop or a luthier you know doing the leveling and stuff? (From what I've gathered, the tools needed to build a neck and fret it are not that expensive/difficult to get (if you have the stuff you use for a body), but the stuff you need to do the levelling yourself is)

Carvin can do a lot of customization work on their neckthru blanks. If they make a neckthru guitar at all with a 25.5" scale, they can make you a 25.5" neckthru blank. They can do pretty much any custom stuff you desire; woods, finishes, and the like. Anything they can do on one of their guitars they can also do on your neck.

A question that is sligthtly related to the topic:

Is it an OK idea to build a neck yourself, and fret it yourself, but have a shop or a luthier you know doing the leveling and stuff? (From what I've gathered, the tools needed to build a neck and fret it are not that expensive/difficult to get (if you have the stuff you use for a body), but the stuff you need to do the levelling yourself is)

bad idea i think.how are you going to get the fretboard radiused and properly leveled before you fret if you don't have those tools?

Radiused sanding block and a straight edge. I can see how you could do the leveling with those, maybe. But crowning would AFAICS (can see) require some fretfiles. But maybe I'm all wrong. If so, enlighten me if you've got the patience.

well here is the thing...if you are very,very **** about getting the proper radius along the entire length of the board,and your board is level,and you properly seat the frets in a clean ,proper sized slot,and glue the ends down(optional,but that is what i do),you may need no leveling at all...or minimal leveling at the most.

so your frets will barely need to be recrowned at all,if you do have to level,and it CAN be done with small round files...but crowning files are not very expensive,even from stewmac

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...wning_File.html

this is what i have.

i always have the patience if i think the guy asking has the desire to learn.

Ask StewMac if they'll sell you the neck blank with their 25.5" scale fingerboard glued on (instead of the 25"). If they do, just be sure to measure it when you get it... :D

The Stew Mac necks are Carvins.

If you're going to do a neck through, I can't imagine an easier way to start making a neck. You can do a hot rod truss rod channel on a table saw, and remove the excess from the neck back area on a bandsaw. Then you can glue on headstock ears and start carving. I can't see paying $200+ for a Carvin neck through, when I consider it easier to build than a bolt on.

Tommy over at USA Custom Guitars will make you a neck through neck. I'm not sure of the price and its not on their site, but I read in his forum that he will make one. You choose the scale, you choose the nut width, the fretsize, the radius, and the headstock shape. Tommy makes dang good stuff too (he and most of his staff are former Warmoth employees).

but crowning files are not very expensive,even from stewmac

Hehe, I just caught my mind thinking stupid things. I'm in Sweden, so I thought shipping for those fret files would make it pretty expensive. Then I realised I'd be buying a truss rod from *cough* somewhere *cough* and fret wire too.... So the shipping wouldn't be that much of a problem...

Thanks for the help wes!

And thanks to everyone for letting this semi-hi-jack go on. :D