Crybaby Problem

Biblical

I recently brought a 535Q wah wah from America 2 months ago, now im back in England it seems to be doing this weird thing where 4 times out of 10 when I press the wah wah down it works, then when I press it to stop and take my foot off the wah wah everything goes silent until i have to push the pedal forward a little and regain the signal.

Any ideas on how to stop it?

I'd check to see if the push-button footswitch didn't come loose (or even get re-tightened) and is now rotated dangerously close to the chassis of the pedal. That could short the signal of the pedal to ground. It would only be in one of the two positions because the "other" position's pole would be away from the edge of the chassis. Otherwise just check it inside for anything touching anything else that it shouldn't be touching.

My vintage crybaby used to do that to me, and I determined it was because the rubber feet impeded the rocker from fully switching the pedal on or off, and as a result, the signal grounded out and became nil.

I fixed this by pulling the rubber feet off the rocker, but if you don't wish to do this, you could try raising the switch some...

My Crybaby's switch doesn't work anymore. It is always on. Only way to bypass the signal is to unplug the wah and do the bypass "physically".

I haven't changed the switch yet as I'm not using it often. But I wonder if it is a common problem with Crybabies or other Jim Dunlop products???? Because my older Tubescreamer and Boss pedals still work great even though I used them much more often and unpolitely than I used my wah.

Edited by kench

My Crybaby's switch doesn't work anymore. It is always on. Only way to bypass the signal is to unplug the wah and do the bypass "physically".

I haven't changed the switch yet as I'm not using it often. But I wonder if it is a common problem with Crybabies.

I've been thinking of dissecting the old switch from mine to find out...

At any rate, I put a DPST switch in it to make it true bypass, then added a Q control, so now my wah is a sick monster, and I've never had switch problems since. <shrugs>