How Are The Frets Measured?

It's really a very simple concept, it's just a progressive scale length. It starts with say 25.5" on the high E and ends with a 28" on the Low F# (if that's what he tunes to)

If you look close the 12th fret is verticle, this is your half way point in a scale length. You split the scale length to each half of the 12th fret.

Geometry could tell you what scale length each string in between is if you wanted to know (assuming you knew the 2 outside scales)

The only problem with this fret system is of course the bridge, conklin has their own bridge design, which you could do something similar without any problem.

Using the fanned fret system has it's only little snafu though in that Novak has it patented so if you want to use it you need permission from Novak and have to pay a royalty to actually do it.

• 3 weeks later...

How would one fix a bridge like that? I'm planning on doing some guitars with fanned frets. (No worry, the permission isn't needed outside the US, unless you sell it to the US).

Also, how would one wich scales to use?

would 25" and 27" be good for a 7-stringed dropped a half step? (Eb Bb Gb Db Ab Eb Bb)

Edited by DracWell

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I have worked on a couple 19th century(reputed) balaliakas that had slanted frets and I saw it as a low-tech way to solve some major intonation problems. Go patent water or air or something. Maybe sex. LGM, have you really set any guitars up with this cause I would think it would take a lot of learning to get used to the scale differences you said are prevalent. I'm fasinated. Ok, so how do you spell "fasten8"?

I experimented with reverse fan fretting (contracting the scale on the bass side) when I was a budding guitar maker.

Keep the bridge straight, I thought I'd build the compensation into the scale instead.

I thought it would solve the problem of the lower frets being overcompensated by the displacement needed to compensate at the higher frets.

I built the damn thing before I did the maths that told me that contracting the scale was exactly the same in mathematical terms as moving the saddle by a fixed amount...

Duh! :D

Edited by octavedoctor

Yeah, I have worked on a couple 19th century(reputed) balaliakas that had slanted frets and I saw it as a low-tech way to solve some major intonation problems. Go patent water or air or something. Maybe sex. LGM, have you really set any guitars up with this cause I would think it would take a lot of learning to get used to the scale differences you said are prevalent. I'm fasinated. Ok, so how do you spell "fasten8"?

Fascinate