The New V I'm Starting

PerryL

Yeah, It's pretty piece of Maple. I just cut the truss rod slot and drilled the Nut access hole. It'll adjust at the heel and it will get a flat headstock since that's the easiest way I know. On The Trial neck the truss rod access hole was off slightly and split the maple so I can't use it for the real thing but That's what I wanted to see about so I didn't mess the Real Neck up. As often as I adjust the truss rod I figured the adjustment nut at the heel would be fine. It's gonna be a bolt on also.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat headstock that sounds cool like on a fender How is that done?? any tips iam haveing a hard time with my neck so I want to try something easyer.

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! :D

It will be like a Fender Neck as in flat sawn only. First job is to cut the truss rod channel.

Second, Thickness the headstock. I'll cut horizonally to 9/32" thick for the headstock, stopping 1/2" from where the nut will be, so you can radius up to the fingerboard.

Third, I taper the neck to the desired width. Fourth, Mark the fingerboard to the sides

of the neck and trim it on the tablesaw with my jig. There's a picture on my Photoblog of that. Fifth, glue the fingerboard down, clamping every 3 inches and you can use zip ties for this also along with clamps and it'll help keep the board centered. Sixth, glue on the peghead ears to the head stock size you want and thickness those After the glue dries. Don't cut the peghead shape until you shape the back of the neck so you have something flat to clamp to. Mount the headstock in a vise and..... Seventh, shape the back of the neck to the desired thickness and roundness. Once those things are done you can go from there. OR just finish it off with Tung Oil Varnish for that Nice smooth Natural wood finish. This is just how I do it, BTW, nothing set in stone. A Little side story, The bandsaw wasn't cutting well so I got out my Wagner Power Planner and used that to thichness my headstock so It goes to show ya, you can do most anything IF you have the right tools. Some of this may not be how everyone does a Fender Style neck, Just My Fender style neck. To each their own.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would post this in an older one and update it when I got a new project started. Eventually I'm going to start a new one unless I quit building guitars. Well, That'll never happen, Unless I "Wake Up Dead".

Here's a pic of yet another body I'm starting, that will probably never get finished but

I rekon I'd post it none the less. You can probably tell it's a kelly only a little bit larger in the horn and tail. No Other plans than the shape. Hardware and paint haven't been

considered yet.

Trimmed.JPG

I cleaned up the "Kelly Klone" today with a little elbow grease, It's now looking a bit better. In The previous photo, the wood creeped on me while clamped and didn't dry level. Well, It's better now. Still have lotsa work sanding ahead for me to even out the lower edge and all the outside edges. I don't think I'm gonna start another thread for this since, I'm not very happy with it at the moment. I'll keep you posted, If interested.

Kelly1.JPG

Hey Perry what's going on with the Kelly Klone or your other jackson copy any new progress Yet B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D