The New V I'm Starting

PerryL

I'm just a little bit backward about posting pics of new projects but For what it's worth,

Here's a pic of the new V I'm starting. I start projects and hardly ever finish them.

I have 4 others that are in the process of OR awaiting paint and electronics, It's just I never seem to find the time to finish them off. DSCF0005.JPG

It's mahogany with Hide Glue for the adhesive.

Edited by PerryL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I based it on the King V and It'll be a bolt neck unless I change my mind. I do have a neck blank of mahogany but I haven't thought that much ahead yet. As for more pics, that's all there is at the moment. I'm still waiting for the glue to dry. Hehe.

Edited by PerryL

Dang, That's what I forgot to take into account. Sanding the surface. But you're right it does look way better. I'll just have to work a lil bit harder, No Biggie. Man, Does it take Hide Glue a long time to cure......still waiting. I guess I'll give it 24 hours and that should be enough. I'm kind of in a rush to get it cut to the template dimensions. Now I know what they mean when they say"Waiting For Paint to Dry". Thanx MzI.

Well, Stupid me, I never checked the expiration Date on my Hide Glue and it expired 4 years ago. I have to dis-assemble the center joint, plane and re-glue with fresh Hide Glue. Sometimes, Things come back to you from the past and I have an old Stew-Mac

Finishing Tape and It came back to me after waiting for the glue to dry. Seemed like it was taking forever and then the flash hit me, "Always Check the expiration date if you're using Bottled Hide Glue". Ah, Another lesson learned.

Edited by PerryL

OK, Today I found some new Hide Glue to use That Was Not Expired and glued my body halves together. It looks as though it's holding well and I'll leave it clamped anyhoo for 24 hours to be assured it's gonna stay that way.

The last time I used Hide Glue, It was expired and this time It has an Expiry date of 12/04 so it should be fine. It was only 3.29 for a 4 oz. Bottle so it's not like I spent a bundle on a one time use. Normally, I'll use Regular Franklin Titebond Yellow but one of my previous bodies, Used Liquid Hide Glue and it left me time to reposition the parts to stay uniform. I like the way it works and sets up a lite brown color so the Mahogany won't look odd if there are any gaps showing thru. I'll keep anyone posted, On the progress and maybe I'll have it cut to shape the next time I post.

It's an older Epiphone Apollo they made for a short period of time and pulled off the market. It is very nice looking tho and since I'm deep into V's at the moment I thought I'd use it.

On to the Subject at hand, I got the V sanded and rough cut today while leaving some room for experimentation. I don't wanna stick to an exact copy of one V or another, though I suppose it's inevitable. I dunno which side to use tho since One side is marked a little different than the other.

V1_10-27-04.JPG

V2_10-27-04.JPG

Lemme know what ya think Guys!

Edited by PerryL

I think it looks good sofare and I dont think that the tips of the V will be a problem if you round them a bit any way what are you using for hardware and are you going to put a top on or are you leaving it the way it is B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanx Guys, So much for planning ahead, I just wanted to get the body cut out and shaped properly. Hardware wasn't an issue. It will be shaped almost exactly like my template Above and will be rear routed for the controls and beyond that, I don't have a clue what I'll be using as far as hardware. I left myself open since I have a tendency to change me mind frequently. I am fairly sure it's gonna get a tunamatic and strings thru like my other project.

Most likely, 2 HB pickups, master vol, Gibbo style toggle. Strat output jack mounted on the inside of the lower horn. Altho, that's just off the top o my head.

the only rounding you need is to slightly "dull" the points with your sandpaper so the sharp edge does not cause the finish to crack

I agree I don't think you will have any problems with the tip's if you do it like that

and just an idea that ive been working on for flying-V's I think it would look cool with just the one humbucking pickup maybe a EMG-81 at the bridge and a mini

toggle switch for the dual coil and eather a push\pull pot or volume and tone pots

I like the bride idea I think string thru look's good on flying-V's as for the jack I have been thinking of doing that for a wile and I think it's a great idea and I would go with black hardHardware it look's cool with Mahogany. B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

heres a picture of my last v i built,

Flying V

its not a king v but maybe itll give you some ideas for hardware and what not,

strings thru black hardware, 1 pups ( im not a fan of the single pickup but im not about to go back and change it now too much work)

as for the input jack, i put it on the lower wing easiest place to put it until i find a way to place it on the upper wing, i use a barrel jack its very clean and easy to install just drill the correct size hole towards the cavity,

one other thing is the strap button, the upper button works best on the middle of the back of the heel, as for the lower one on the wing place it in the center of the upper wing

MzI

Thanx MzI, that's pretty nice. I'm taking my time with this tho so IF I change my mind it won't be hard to do. It's still in the MOD stage and the nice thing about V's are the straight edges so I can run the sides thru the planer and get perfectly straight edges.

The inside edges are gonna get rounded out like the King V and the edges 90 degree

chamfers.

Edited by PerryL

heres a picture of my last v i built,

you know I dont normaly like that style of flying-V but you made that one look so cool I my have to try some thing like it and I love that stain NICE WORK!! :D

and is that a layer of purpleheart I see in there do you like the sound of it with the maple?

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I did some more planning today on the V and It'll have 2 HB pickups Master Volume, And Gibbo style toggle. Tunamatic and string-thru in a V stylee.

The Back will get ferrules but the front is gonna be just holes. I haven't been able to find a viable alternative to putting rear style ferrules on it and I hate the rear style on the Front. I may go out and get some thin Brass stock and cut it into some kind of pattern that looks good with the V shape.

you could always get one of the v strings thru plates like on sum of the jackson rr models and the gibson 59 reissues

Matt yes that is a layer of purple heart in there its only like an 1/8" so it really doesnt affect the sound that much, right now the sound isnt great mainly cuz of the pickup i have in there its a duncan jazz i think im gonna try a full shred hopefully thatll bring out the highs a lil more

MzI

The Back will get ferrules but the front is gonna be just holes. I haven't been able to find a viable alternative to putting rear style ferrules on it and I hate the rear style on the Front

Well hears an idea for you press fit tuner bushings I have used them before on one of my flying-V's and they work and look great!! but may find them a bit to large now something else i've done is i've used those sewing ferrules there the exact same thing but much smaller I think you can get them in most any sise and color iam not realy sure what there realy named but you can get them at any sewing store I will try to get some more info on them if you like.