Super Glue Accelerator

soapbarstrat

I haven't bought super-accelerator for many years, since the time I bought a bottle from Stew-mac, and it dried up within a month (had no idea it was rapidly drying up inside the spray bottle).

But the other day, I was messing with a scrap neck, and I wanted to pull out a fret I had put in that neck 10 months ago, which I had also ran #10 Stew-mac super glue into the fret-slot to help hold the fret. Well, I was surprised that I was able to pull this fret out with my fret-pullers with no heat, and the glue bond....... well, it was like there was hardly any glue bond. This scares me, so now I want to start applying accelerator to the fret-tangs before adding the glue, which I hope, will make the super-glue perform the way I thought super-glue was supposed to.

But, you know I don't want to rack up a $30 minimum stew-mac bill to get a bottle of their accelerator, so I'm wondering if I were to run over to the hobby shop or some local place that sells super-glue accelerator, if that will work just fine with the stew-mac super-glue ?

Anybody know what the heck accelerator is , and how it makes the glue work better ?

The stuff must be magic, because stew-mac charges $35.00 for a pint of the stuff

(oh yeah, that would put me over their minimum :D )

Yeah, I keep a big bottle capped tightly, and transfer it into the little spritzer bottle when I want to use it, and transfer the rest back when I'm done.

PS, that accellerator is a deadly carcinogenic and has killed people dead before from overinhalation.

Use with caution. :D

PS, that accellerator is a deadly carcinogenic and has killed people dead before from overinhalation.

Use with caution. B)

I guess you're not joking right ?

I have enough lung damage from paint and solvents.

Supposedly baking soda can be used, but that would be hard to get to stay on the fret.

BUT, not hard to rub it into the fret-slot. Hmmm, I just woke up my mad scientist personality :D

Edited by soapbarstrat

Overinhalation is probably the wrong term.

Overexposure causes it to build up in your liver (I think) to fatal doses over time.

I try to always use it outdoors now.

I have also had my fair share of exposure to solvents and other bad chemicals, but no one wants to voluntarily do themselves in.

That's no fun.

Soapbar........Head down to your local hobby store and you will find a great selection of super glues, epoxies and accelerators.......This stuff is the "favorite fruit" of model airplane builders. The brand name is Bob Smith Industies, but may be packaged generically with the hobby shop's name on it. I recently bought a refill sized 8oz (I think) bottle of accelerator for @$11 and it will last me for 6 months. An 8oz bottle of superglue is @$16.....If you buy an 8oz bottle, you can store the unused portion in your freezer almost indefinately. If the internet is your prefered method of procurement.....try Lone Star Models.....I've bought from them many times.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought some. At first , I wasn't sure if I should buy it, because it had the hobby shop's name on it , and I didn't see Bob Smith's name on the bottle. But then they had a free paper about the glues there that had "Bob Smith Industries" " BSI" on it. Then I noticed all the bottles with the store name had ' BSI' on them. I was surprised how cheap the super-glue was. Like $4.00 for a bottle almost as big as Stew-macs.

Their paper says their super-glue has a 2 year shelf life. But I don't know if that's an open or unopened bottle.

And one thing I just don't understand..... The $11.00 bottle of accelerator is " strawberry scented" !!! .

Ah yes, fruit scented poison and youth influenced by MTV. What a clever way to " thin the herd ".

I had also ran #10 Stew-mac super glue into the fret-slot to help hold the fret. Well, I was surprised that I was able to pull this fret out with my fret-pullers with no heat, and the glue bond....... well, it was like there was hardly any glue bond. This scares me

The most important question I can think of is to ask if you degreased the frets with naptha (or something of the like) before installing them? That makes a HUGE difference. If you did, and you're sure the frets were snug in the wood with enough superglue to bond them, maybe the glue was no good. Using accelerator shouldn't make the glue joint any stronger, only faster drying. :D If the frets are well seated it shouldn't make a difference, so I would say to not bother about the accelerator with the frets, but that's just my opinion.

yes, I always clean it with naptha. I'm thinking that maybe too much water-thin glue gets sucked into the end-grain of the fret-slot wall, away from where it should be. So, I'm thinking with accelerator on the fret-tang, it will keep more glue between the tang and the fret-slot wall, because the glue will dry before it starts seeping into the endgrain.

Warmoth leaves the oil on and uses thick CA

That's a good idea, just using the thicker glue. Simplest solution is usually the best.

the main thing I like about using super-glue when doing fret-work, is that I can press the fret in dry, make sure I like the fit, see how well it's seated, THEN apply the glue.

The BSI website says this about testing if your CA is good or not : Shake the bottle and if it takes more than 3 seconds for all the bubbles to go away, it's time to give the glue to uncle Lester, so he can build more clothes-pin soldiers with it.