New Idea Good Or Bad ?

Part of the problem is my Photoshop ability. I made a wrong move on the front horns and left hard points. I'm sorry you don't think the pics belong here bill but I think Myka said it best, If this isn't an IN PROGRESS work, I don't know what is. And, How often have your guitar projects turned out Exactly like the initial design? Mine have been very close but never exactly.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is my Photoshop ability. I made a wrong move on the front horns and left hard points

So then did you want them rounded off a bit I think that would work beter I like the litle hook thing but that might break off with out some beefing up either way I like it so it's up to you. B) oh ya and I would still like to see an example of

the scalloping that ive been hearing about.

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I meant to put back the original horns in front but it looked Extremely Gothic with the sharp hooks so I didn't mess with it anymore since, Like I Said, I'm rubbish with Photoshop. I think the front horns just need to be pulled outward a little bit, like about an inch or so, since it'll interfere with playing the upper register. And I guess we should round them a bit. Just A Bit, tho.newguitar12e2trya1E.jpg

Edited by PerryL

I meant to put back the original horns in front but it looked Extremely Gothic with the sharp hooks so I didn't mess with it anymore since, Like I Said, I'm rubbish with Photoshop. I think the front horns just need to be pulled outward a little bit, like about an inch or so, since it'll interfere with playing the upper register. And I guess we should round them a bit. Just A Bit, tho.

oh ok thats what you ment any way with the tips if you sand them just a bit so the finish won't crack off thats what I ment sorry about that any way I think the horns

would look good pulled outward a little maybe 1"1\3

I just saw that pic for the first time today and I like that it go's well with the rest of the design so fare it's realy looking good and I like the Inverted axe don't you?

Well I think it would be a lot of wood but maybe not if it's a neck thru and that way the fins would not need to have so much wood or it could be a multy lamenate body.

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

If you're gonna build it, are you going with that config of sumthin different?

Yep If I build it I would go with a string thru bridge, EMG's, push\pull volume pot

but iam not to sure witch one I will build maybe both of them I think I should

I love all the idea's that have come out of all this now I have like 5 or 6 guitars on the go or runing thru my mind this is realy cool!!

That's what I love about the forum, It gives you ideas for projects that You Know can do, and Folks to help you see it through properly. I think it was your V, Matt, but, it inspired me to make this one, I'm working on at the moment.

That's realy cool!! this forum is the best thing that i've seen on the web as far as building guitars go's any way I went to the shop where I buy my wood and I was given about 100$ worth of buinga for some work I did on a guitar that the owner

built any way I think I should use some of it for the back of a few for my guitars

but mostly this one it's a very nice light redish color and for the top maybe some

maple or purpleheart but iam thinking purpleheart since maple is so hard to come buy up hear in saskatoon but what do you think?

thanks

I think if it inspires you, Do It, Matt! I was reading Drak's post, where he gave away one of his unfinished works and It caused me to get creative and not worry so much about taking chances. Lay it out on the floor and see what it looks like.

Good point if it inspires me to do it do it.where is this post sounds like something

that might be worth looking at any way I have some purpleheart and it look's good

with the buinga but i've never worked with buinga and iam not sure of the tonal

characteristics that it would have when put with purpleheart do you know anything

about it?

Thanks

Carl Thmpson Basses were made with Purpleheart and Bubinga, He's the guy who made Les Claypool from Primus some basses. They Look Fantastic!

I forget the web address but if you google it, It should come. He made a small amount of electric guitars that were impressive but there were only a few of em.

Carl Thompson Basses

Edited by PerryL

Cool thanks for the link!! Iam going to go with the Purpleheart and Bubinga but not with this design Iam working on an JTG Infinity rough copy electric guitar and the wood's go great with the design and its the look i want for that guitar. Back to the guitar at hand I like the Bubinga for the back but i think maple would look the best for the top since I just got some realy great dye that works well with maple and I would like to try some cool new colors, it will take more time to get some good quality figured maple but it should be worth it!! B)

Yep, This design seems to cry out for a Curly Maple Top with Blue or Green

Ya curly maple would be the best on this one and I've been thinking emerald green

for the top I love that deep dark green color something about it just get's me going. :D:D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Well I finally found some Curly Maple and Ive put it on hold until I can get down there and pick it up and bring it home I should have it by next weekend!! B)

What kinda wood did you decide on the base body? Mahogany or Walnut? I was thinkin about using Basswood with Maple top but don't know what thickness the top should be, Carved top or Flat and contoured?

Base body?? not sure what you mean like the back of the guitar, any way I never

realy liked basswood but It's your guitar and I think that flat and contoured would look best but that's me as for thickness I like thick tops!!

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Hey PerryL have you every built your own neck befor Iam trying to start my own but I need some info I have a 3-1/2in thick slab of Purpleheart and I want the neck to be one whole pice and Iam not sure how to cut the 13 degree angle for the head stock any info would be nice I had a look at the tutorials section and it was some help but I still need some info,help,and tips thanks.

Hey Matt, I have built my own neck before and turned out crap BUT I do have the experience and the next one will be class! Do you have Melvyn Hiscock's book "Make your Own Electric Guitar"? that LP style is what I was goin for and it was OK but I screwed the neck joint. The neck for the V, I'm gonna do a scarf joint on Maple.

Kathy's Website

I made this scarf joint jig and it's great but I made it after I screwed the first neck.

If you don't wanna go thru that, mark out the angle on a 2 1/2" square stock of wood,

I'd buy a fingerboard for your first neck and lay it to the edge of the angle on top where the truss rod channel gets routed then mark the edge of where you want the neck to stop, a little beyond the last fret, cut it and round it slightly. There's a lot more to it but than that so when I hear from you again, I'll finish this, after I find out where you stand on this part.

Edited by PerryL