New Idea Good Or Bad ?

The Other Perry on here has a good place to start, and he uses the same way I did mine except for My stock was 2 1/2" square.

This is what I was plaing on doing with my neck but I'am still not sure how to cut the 13 degree angle and I don't want to destory this wood and neck by jumping in with no idea where to go :D thanks for the help

!!METAL MATT!! B)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maple is cheap, try making this neck and see if it works for you. 28" x 2 1/2" square stock. If you have a Home Depot close to you get a maple board there 3/4" x 2 1/2"

and cut 3 pcs. 28" long and glue them together. Mark a line at 20" and that will be where the nut will be located. The remaining 8" will be the headstock, now from that

line, draw the 13-15 degree angle. You'll now wanna route the truss rod channel, Before you cut the headstock angle so you have a nice level surface to route on. Make sure to have the fingerboard and truss rod you wanna use BEFORE starting this project but, Now crank up the bandsaw and cut that angle as straight as the Pope and flat sand it.

You'll wanna use a vernier cap on that head since it will clean it up nicely. Once you get this far, If you still want some assistance lemme know, I'll be glad to help, if you want.

Edited by PerryL

Cool thanks for the help and info I will try a neck with some cheap wood just to get a feal for it the fret board wount be hard Ive done a few befor and I feal realy good about it so once again thanks!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Sorry Matt, I didn't mean cheap as in low quality, I meant economic.

If it turns out well, You have a neck for another guitar. Get the truss rod measurment right tho, cuz my first one the the adjustment screw stuck out

too much and It looked horrable. :DFirst_Neck.JPG

Edited by PerryL

Sorry Matt, I didn't mean cheap as in low quality, I meant economic.

I think if I do a good gob with the neck I will use it for a nother guitar and if thats

the pick with the bad truss rod measurment I don't think it look's horrable at all

I like it I can only hope my first works as well

My only concern was starting a neck and thinking, well this is my test neck and if it doesn't turn out well, I can scrap it. That kinda thinking always led me to trouble. That's me though.

Good point I should build it the best I can that way I wount say good enough as much and I wount make as many "oops" "dam" "crap" "f!@$%*#$!k" THUD sounds!!HAHAHAH :D:D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

That neck above was my first and planing wasn't in the cards and it just got built. With all it's imperfections. The maple has lotsa marks in it and the headstock needed repaired since I didn't plan that out and the tuners were too close together. Having the parts at hand is always a good idea. I'm down on myself lately since it seems I never get a guitar done, so I'm gonna finish one and then I'll be happy. I have one that's very close and I will get it done in the next few weeks.