Is This Worth It?

Anathema

i read some of the things about this and im just not sure aobut it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home...ase_pid=240988/

im still somewhat a beginner and i have trouble learning things at hig speeds. and i want to know if this will help me learn new things such as solos. ive heard that when it slows down the songs it kinda makes them sound shitty. does this make it harder to hear the guitar parts or anythign. the effect probally wont really bother me as long as i learn something new. i guess what i am trying to say will this benifit me at all?

I have the bass version and it is actually pretty nice. It does not alter the pitch when it slows down. The only problem I have is that you end up with patch cables all over you and they get in the way when you're trying to play......my wife loves it because I play it with headphones on and the house doesn't vibrate like when I usually play....... :D

No lessons built in that I've found. You just toss in a CD and play along. If it's too fast you can slow it down and it doesn't change pitch (you don't have to retune) it just allows you to play along at a slower pace until you learn the lick.

I did mean patch cables....you have your guitar/bass cable which stays out of the way for the most part but the headphone cable hangs in all the wrong places. I made a cable for mine so I can run it straight into my amp instead of using headphones. They are a good tool for learning riffs that go by too quickly at normal speed. Try playing "Twist and Shout" by the Beatles at regular speed and you'll know what I mean. It doesn't sound that fast when you listen, but it sure goes fast when you try to play it the first couple of times..... :D

ultraman Posted on Oct 31 2004, 12:53 PM

i think its ok but id stick to just learning it from time signatures 

:D Time sig has nothing to do with the speed of the song - that's the tempo. 4/4 at 60 beats per minute is easy even with 8ths and 16ths....try 4/4 at 176 BPM with 16ths....much more difficult. Most of the players I know can't read music and play by ear.....that's what I think the Tascam is designed for. I can read music (not great but good enough) and I still use it for super fast songs. I'm not saying you can't learn without it obviously, but it does help to break a song down. You can also loop sections of a song you're having trouble with and repeat just that section. Rush's "YYZ" comes to mind......it took me many, many hours to get parts of that bass line down and I'm still far (real far, no I'm real, real, real far) from being Geddy Lee!! B)