I broke my neck!

I broke my neck right below the headstock. I'm having a hard time lining it back up to glue it. The fretboard is coming off. Should I take it all the way off and see if I can line it up, or is it junk? I'll try and get a picture of it here within the next hour or two.

Thanks,

Justin

Image1.jpgImage2.jpgImage3.jpgImage4.jpg

It looks like there are no major chunks missing, but I can't really tell. The truss rod gets in the way when I try to put it back together. These pictures suck, but the last one shows the fretboard bending from the top towards the bottom. There is a little crak in it at the side. There also looks like there is a piece of something under the fretboard and that's why it won't lay back down. I thought if I took the fretboard off, it would be easier to repair, and this is the neck I wanted to do the skull inlays. I don't want to take the neck off if it will make everything worse, or if there is no need to do it. What do you think?

For what it is worth, I would take something like this to an experienced Luthier with experience in fixing this sort of thing. If you are in the SF Bay area, I know somebody that can do it, I have seen him repair broken necks before.

Opinions worth what you pay for them: Nothing.

Guitar Ed

ive fixed a couple of busted headstocks before, just take your time and dont rush anything! see if its possible to get the piece out from under the fret board without removing it first, if you cant then maybe try to remove the fret board.

from the pics it looks like it broke on the scarf joint? how did you do that?

That fret board has to come off and the truss rod removed in order to do it with confidence. Chances are the truss rod will get in the way even if it is relaxed.

You can do one of three things, follow the tutorials and do it yourself (my choice).

Hire a pro, expensive but worth it.

Scrap it (not really a wise choice).

If you do it yourself you also have the opertunity to start out with a fresh new fretboard :D

I figured out why I can't get it back together. There is a crack in the headstock and it's popping up. The part of the neck that's supposed to go over it won't fit. I can probably break off the headstock part at the crack, so I can glue it. Then it should fit, but what happens if there is chuncks missing when I get it back together?

Do the break over a clean piece of newpaper just in case you need to find any splinters. It may turn into a puzzle but you'll be fine.

If a piece comes up missing you can always use a high end quality wood epoxy to fill the space. I've done this several times without a problem.

A fairly large piece is missing from the back of the neck, and I can't seem to break the part of the head stock. I busted off the end, so I can get the neck, but the crack goes up a ways. I'm thinking it's time to give up on making it original. I think I have to glue the pieces I have back together, sand it smooth, fill in any gaps, then paint it. Painting is the only way to cover it. I'm not a big fan of painted necks, but there is no other way. I'm getting second thoughts about customizing it into the best guitar I own. I'm thinking about getting it back together, then selling it.

I am getting wood glue tomarrow. I'm out, well I have some, but it's all hard and nasty. Once I get it glued, I'll get some pictures of it. The right side looks good. You can't tell it was cracked, but the left side looks like it spilt into another piece. I piece I don't have. That part sucks. I can't imagine this coming out good. When I go to paint it, what should I do about the head stock? It's black with B.C. Rich Platium. I don't want to cover that up. Should I just paint everything, but the front or will that looked messed up?

Image5.jpgImage6.jpg

You can see the left edge doesn't match up. This is a slight gap at the right. I have a piece that fits over the truss rod, but it doesn't line up perfect. There will be a gap there, too. There is also cracking going up the head stock, but you can't see it in the picture. It goes up just a little passed the bottom tuning machine. What should I do?

I am glueing the piece over the truss rod now. It should be done at midnight. I should glue in a piece of wood in the cracks, sand it smooth, then use filler for the small gaps? How should I go about painting this without messing up the B.C. Rich logo? Should I paint and clear everything, but the front of the head stock, or should I paint the neck and clear everything including the front of the head stock?

Here's what I'm thinking, I'll glue the crack in the head stock and clamp it hard enough, so it stays together. I'll put pieces of wood in the bigger cracker and glue them real good. I'll put filler (what's the Good For Wood stuff you mentioned?) on top of the wood pieces to make everything smooth. Then I'll sand, paint, and then clear. Is this a bad idea? Anyone got a better one?

For some reason with that crack it just doesn't look straight by the photo. That would also mean a hugh slab of wood is missing from the original scarf joint, is this possible?

The "Good for Wood" ia a product from Loctite that I have found very usefull for many situations. I know for a fact it is available at Lowes in the paint department in the glues and fillers section.