I broke my neck!

The more pieces you have the greater chance of a weak joint in there somewhere. Just take your time, you might even have to cut n carve several to get it right if your not used to working with wood.

One thing that could help you out is to drop by a local hardware store and ask about shim material, you'll get way more then you need for the job but it is really cheap compaired to the hassle of trying to slice n splice from a maple board.

I'd remove material from the neck, until you have a smooth flat surface to glue to. Then, I'd prepare a piece of maple, and scarf it onto the onto the break. I'd remove material from the head too, creating another flat glueing face, and join this to the neck.

With neck repairs it's all or nothing - if you have all the pieces of even a pretty savage break, you can inject plenty of wood glue, clamp carefully, and it should be fine. However, lose even a fairly minor piece and you'll have to either scarf in a patch, or a whole new headstock.

See here for some helpfull pics and info...

New Head

Scarfed Repair

These are fairly tricky repairs to undertake if you've little or no woodworking experience, so you may want to try a local repair guy. If his quote is more than you can afford, what do you have to lose?

-Setch.

I was bored today and I started sanding a little piece of wood to fit in the crack. After sanding it for a little while and smelling it, I figured out it was cedar......guessing it's not the best wood for the job. There is a little gap but not very wide or deep. Does that matter? I clamped it together to see what it looks like and I was going to take a picture of it, but my batteries are dead in my camera. Also, that first link is pretty good. Should I bust the headstock off and add a huge piece like he did?