Idea For Floyd Rose

You guys are talking about two different parts of the trem.

-LGM is talking about the main plate (what the saddles mount to; the plate that pivots)

-Goth is talking about the tremolo block (the block that the springs hook into; Tremol-No clamps on to).

For the plate, use steel. Those pivot points have to be very hard (or hardened). Brass would last about 1 song. LOL

For the trem block, brass would work (works for Driskill!), and steel is fine. I've seen trem blocks in everything from Lexan to titanium. My suggestion would be to go with a steel alloy.

Anywhere between 8mm and 12mm thickness will work just fine.

Maiden- no worries. I'm just a big fan of 7075. It's a lot like 6061, but a little more brittle, and tougher to machine. It's by far my favorite aluminum. 6061's no slouch either. :-)

Nice to know, I think that I will continue using the 60, the only thing I done to it is add the helicoil to ensure a stronger thread area, other than that It worked great, and it's not so easy to machine but I rather do it than any steel.

This topic has opened up my mind a lot, Inever thought of the idea to make the trem plate nad just add that original hardware to make a 8 string, This is good advise! If Iever do like this it will be my guitar and I care less what they think about license! I understand the situation for Jeremy since this is his bussiness, I have manualy hardened steel, but I love the ovens, it gives it that bell tone uniformly. I done a few stuff but mainly for cars, the best one so far was a remote oil filter base for a '66 VW Beetle 2500cc turbo engine, after hardening I bath it in used oil and it took a beautiful blue tone, still ot this date it looks blue and it's in PR ! Good luck to all in this quest, I will be storming my mind about this too,