My First Project Ever

hey guys thanks for the comments, maybe if i feel awake enough to drive out to lowes i can get another drill press from lowes. I love GMC's cheapo stuff because it is actually REALLY heavy duty. The drill press i got from them is a tank and their service is great...and australian B) .

Maiden i know exactly what you're talking about, but i tested the guitar out and it seemed fine. I was lucky enough i routed it out perfectly and the neck heel had to be pushed a bit to fit, than it wouldnt move outta place. Thanks guys, hopefully my dad didnt throw away the reciept :D

Oh yeah and that line..i know it was a bad idea but i bought this set from someone on this site and sadly it wasnt jointed. I had a hand planner and sanded to where the high spots were and thats the best i could do without making it too thin So I....put wood filler in the middle. I dunno what to do with it because its in the way.

DON'T PUT FILLER THERE! man that top is sweet, go to a cabinet maker close to you! there got to be a few of them, SH.. if you can't find one shot me a PM and I'll get it done in the shop I go to. It will cost $2.50 that's the 1 hr cost to use the shop. Remember, with all the work money and efforts you are putting into making a guitar, you don't want to go halfassed, especialy with a figured top.

I dunno about this, PM Drak and ask him. Also, what you might do now is.... get some of this rout a channel in the center, epoxy this bad boys there, sand smooth, then stain light blue, green, red, any color that matches with the abalam, and you are done, and nobody will ever know that you did it to hide anything!

Any one on this page will work too,

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Purfling.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim...ng:_Colors.html

Here is what I use to get my top books perfectly flat and aligned for glueups.

It's a scrap piece of Mahogony and some 80 grit paper (was free) that's made for sticky-backed sanding discs.

That completely FREE setup has trued up at least 20 top sets for me, if not more. Takes me on average 15-20 minutes to get them trued up.

Simple, cheap, and deadly effective for making your tops perfectly trued up before glueups.

Every Tele top and bottom set along with many other tops and bottoms have been trued up on this ole' scrap piece of wood.

If I thought I needed the entire surface covered with sandpaper, then I would buy the right stuff and make the entire surface be covered, but this works absolutely perfect, and I was given a whole box of this 80 grit sticky-back sandpaper free, so it's free, it works perfect, so that's what I use.

The little piece in the middle I added a few months ago when I changed the paper.

That's my 'new and improved' version. :DB):D

Drak, the leader in economical (= cheapass) tooling (and waste disposal too!). :D:D

Sanding%20Block.jpg

Hey nice job, keep it up !!

one suggestion i would make for your routing is use a forsner bit to take out as much as you can and after use your template/router for finishing up cleanly, less wood to take out so less chance of bearing leaving the template.

Drak sanding block is what i use also for sanding straight . mine is a block of hard maple about 2" x 2" x 16", i got different grit on each side and i stick it there with double faced tape.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, apparantely a good hit of the hammer keeps that chuck in place so i got to get working! sweet. So heres hows things are looking so far. With some christmas money, i might just order the parts so i can start working on this some more. Heres the pictures. Oh yeah, the template bit tore the wood out. Yeah thats a pain in the butt

1ac.jpg

ca8.jpg

fbc.jpg

04f.jpg

Have fun dudes :DB)