My First Project Ever

Hey Im a 16 year old and I just started building my first guitar guitar from scratch. After thinking about what to do, and i decided to go for a double cutaway, and when I get a figured top, I'll try to dye the wood like mcnaught does (Look at the design at the bottom). Well here are some pictures.

Click here

Well tell me what you think, have fun B):D

Edited by xebryusguitars

I updated 2 pics, i slotted the fret board and thinned width of the board...i drew out my neck but uh cheap bandsaws are the worst. My blade got stuck in the thick wood and i had to break the blade and put garderners gloves on to manually take out the blade. Well hopefully I can learn how to properly replace bandsaw blades :D

Edited by xebryusguitars

Nice it looks good sofar and if it look's that good and your only 16 think about when your 20 or 30 if you keep working hard and keep learing you WILL build some awesome guitars!! good luck and I can't wait to see more pics

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hye guys, Im about to buy some quilted maple good enough for me B) and I was wondering about paint jobs. I know about that how dyeing black and than dyeing the color to bring out the grain. Sounds fun and good, BUT I need a little more explanation about this "sanding back". I was wondering if it meant like sanding in between coats like you would with a regular paint job. Even if you dont wanna type if out, even a link could help

Hey I havnt done ANYTHING do due lack of tools (router bits and a good bandsaw) I suggest to never get that 90 dollar table top delta bandsaw. Its weak and hasnt last me 4 days. AND I GOT 2 OF EM. Both of them started acting up in the first 4 days (4 days was the good one). Well I ordered some stuff from ebay and from guitar building templates. You can see the wood from ebay on THIS WEBSITE

well have fun with that and feel free to comment and if you think this delta thing was a bad value.

Oh yeah and a little off topic, is this natural that im a "regular member" after 9 days, or is it because i post a little much lately?

Edited by xebryusguitars

• 3 weeks later...

Well i started working on this thing again...I planed the body down to 1 1/2 inches and i took a neck from a special 2 until i get the skill to make my own neck B):D . Well This guitar is going to be a flat top, with the natural binding, black bottom, red dye over black stain top, with a black burst....IF ALL GOES WELL. Heres what is looks like, whoever is reading this, respond with which top you think should go on top. THanks

(All tops are wet)

b64.jpg

535.jpg

First top

5db.jpg

I drew out a PRS design but the tops too thin

597.jpg

Second Top

c42.jpg

d5f.jpg

Thanks guys :D

Hey man,

I don't think the Delta saw is necesarily a bad value, I just think the work you are trying to do with it is pushing to its limits. What kind of problems are you having with it? Are you breaking blades? When you are trying to cut 1 1/2 thick guitar bodies or necks on a small saw like this, you really need to go slow and let the blade do the work. If you try to push it too fast you'll blow the blade every time.

Another thing you might look into is getting a good quality blade. These low end tools tend to come with low end blades that don't cut so good. A good blade makes all the difference in the world!

This work can be done on small tools like yours (Drak does his bodies on a scroll saw). You just need to get a feel for what you saw can handle.

:D

haha not neccisarily the response i was trying to get but I guess ive got 2 bad eggs in the bunch. My first one lasted literally 30 minutes in total usage. The blade broke first 10 minutes, i dont blame it being a generic one. Than when i was replacing the blade, while tightening not even as tight as they set it, the cast iron snapped off. Pretty mad? Very...due to low budget and not very sceptical, i got another one, im trying to cut my neck and the blade just stops in the wood. Also the regular ol problem of the drifting. I wouldnt suggest it for anything over 2 inches. Just after my little experiences i just dont trust it. Also when i replace my blade, it makes this ticking noise ive never heard. But it does the job when i was cutting this body, and a body im working on right now. Im thinking of being a Ridgid type of person. I got a belt/oscillation sander from them and i would die without it, great value, for like 120. Sorry if ive pissed you off, but the delta got me more riled up :D .

You're not pissing me off B) . I hate working with substandard equipment. I was just trying to suggest ways to make that saw work for you. I didn't realize you had broken the casting on one of them.

I'm with you I think rigid tools are pretty sweet. That sander you have, is that the one that is an oscilating spindle sander with a belt sanding attatchment? I saw that a the home depot by me an it was like $199.99 if you got it for $120.00 you got a good deal :D

Edited by jer7440

heh i thought the fingerboard looked a little thin too but its the same on the prs template and on my ibanez. (phew). ill try to make that neck when i get neck woods at a appropriate cutting thickness :D . Hmm i dont have the cash for a moisture meter so maybe nect time i go to the hardwood store, ill ask them if they have one. thanks for the heads up.

haha i dont want to have a reputation of hating the delta saw. Just my bad experiences make me sceptical. For the swamp ash and the ash (another project) its cutting fine with a little drifting. Just that I wish i spent a little more for a little more power. Which blades would you recommend cause I can only get these generic type at the stores cause they dont hold anything else.

Well i routed the neck pocket free hand and it turned out good for the first routing even, than the neck humbucker went good cept the bearing slipped and i took a little out and the bridge went horrible cause the bearing kept lifting up over the template. Well you learn that that little tube they give you is absolutely nessicary. Heres how it looks so far

04e.jpg

6e4.jpg

(the neck is veryyy snug B))

3b4.jpg

ada.jpg

d8e.jpg

Now i gotta order stuff to proceed. :D

Well i glued the top on, in a rush cause my GF was coming over, i forgot to mark off where to route. Also, i learned that i should definitely glue first, route second. I was planing to just drill a hole where I knew the humbuckers were because I measured distance from the neck pocket...but the drill press also broke. Its a GMC and the chuck just FALLS off after 2 seconds. Good thing its under warranty. Well the image hostings not working so just check it out at my webshots

Check out the progress

Holy crap xebryusguitars that's some deadly looking good work, This is going to be one great guitar, is this realy your first?? if so man good job!! I had an idea about your routering problem you may have thought of this all ready but hear it is, Like you said you could drill hole's where all your last route's where large enough to fit a small cuting router bit with a bearing at it's base, insert that in to the one of the hole's that you will be driling and let the router bit cut the new pockets in the top useing your old ones as jig's for the bit to fallow, And one more thing is that a gap in the top glue join or is that just glue run off?? hear's a link to what i'am talking about. If this is a gap you could inlay a strip of something to fill it all in,

just an idea good luck man and good work!! :D

http://community.webshots.com/photo/216506...230343051QdKVIr

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Nice a lot of progress, and nice top, were you got that Exotic or somewhere else? The only thing I see is that you are going to end up with the same problem Boggs and hyusu had,hyunsu with his 1st PRS style guitar. Not good fret access in the higher frets, from the looks of it fron the 18 up you will have to over extend your fingers. This is up to you, but I would either make both horns longer, or make the lower horn cut lower, kinda like a wolfgand with a upper horn. If it don't bother you, keep it like that it looks good.

Hmm I didn't have any problems with my 9" GMC 90 dollar cheapo bandsaw. At first I had a few problems but once I got the guides, bearings, caster, and tension right I can cut thick slabs of mahoganyno probs. Anyhow good work and I can understand about lacking tools. I am only 17(just turned it 2 weeks ago), but slowly I had tools to my collection. I already own a table saw, 18v cordless, 20gallon air compressor with a couple tools and about 200ft of hose (that stuff is hard to keep organized though), my cheapo 9"gmc(really starting to look for a large floor model to do some resawing), dremel, router bits, chiesels etc. I just add on as I need tools. Most of my money doesn't go towards CD's and such. Eventually you will have a shop full. Goodluck with the project and looking real good to.