Hot Noiseless Fender P-ups?

guitarman

Well, what's your idea of hot? Fender thinks that 10.4K, 3.5H singles with a resonant frequency of 3.1KHz is hot - That's roughly mid way between SD's Alnico II and their Quarter Pounder, but with a lower resonance, closer to a humbucker or a silver Lace. Hotter, but still very much Fender - Invaders they ain't! :D

Ha ha ha!! :D

Well put!!!

Do you know of a hot strat pickup that still sounds like a single coil, without making enough noise to sound like a frickin blender!!!!!

I have a hot dimarzio now that sounds GREATTTTT, but when not playing,...the noise is ridiculous.

I'd love to hear about a single coil that is hot, but does not make a ton of noise.

Perhaps the fast-tracks or the hot rails??? I dunno.

Thanks for the cool reply.

Guitarman

B)

They are most definately not very HOT and they are not really noiseless in the classic sense. As the other folks in this forum have said proper shielding will quiet single-coils, double-coils, opticals and space-invaders. Go with the hot pickups these other guys love the sound of and shield. Another annoying thing about the Hot Fender Noisless set is the slanted pickup has nonstandard pole piece spacing. Kiss your custom gold or red pickup covers goodbye. Beautiful low distortion clean jazz tone, however. Oops, thats not what you wanted to hear, is it? Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

ok you wanna shield it like this, than you can get whatever one sounds good! if you want hot I recamend the seymour duncan quarter pound Its ausome and its VERY hot. :D

Or you could just go with a set of EMG active pickups... those will never hum!

B)

Edited by Godin SD

Thank you Godin. :D

You really summed up my dilemma well....I would love the HEAT of the Seymour quarter pounders (without cheese) and if I could defeat ridiculous hum....all the better.

GREAT website about shielding....detailed with good descriptions of EVERY step taken for a newb like me.

I'm more and more amazed with the innovations and ideas surrounding the improvement of such a simple guitar as the strat.

Great reply bud!

Guitarman

p.s. One member of my band had a Godin, then switched to a Les Paul....now Gibson's are damn fine guitars....but he says he misses the Godin! Now that is an honest compliment.