Bassurgery

feylya

A good chunk of change. There's a guy near me though that sells hand made custom acoustics for $10,000 (USD) and up. He couldn't sell any at the $3000 he was asking so he raised his prices and is now busier than ever! Imagine that!!

BTW, I decided on using the LightWave for my bass. Hopefully I'll get it ordered today.............

At first I was really impressed, the shape is realy catchy, nice flowing lines, espewcialy in the home link! But there are a few things I don't like, I think that the body is too thin, (Bass experts here correct me on this), now I'm not saying that I'm not impressed, I think that this is a beautiful piece of craftmanship, but I think that because he is doing almost everythink he has to charge all tha tmoney and eventualy it's going to detract people from buying! The electronics are massive, the tunners head are cast by him, theres an inboard tunner on the neck? ***, necxt will be an onboard 15W all tube amp to run a speaker, if he don't install one on the back...

I know I'm ranting...

because I'm jellous that I can't make it my self :D

Well realy, nice done bass, well thought, nice choice of woods, yeap he get my vote... too bad is soo expensive!

feylya Posted on Nov 18 2004, 12:20 PM

The only thing I don't like about the lightwave system is the size of it, especially since it looks so plasticy. 

I agree on its unsightly looks but once you listen to it (if you haven't already) you get over the looks real quick.

Speaking of looks have you seen the Line6 bass? Talk about ugly....and it's very pricey for a bolt on ($1200). I'd like it a whole lot more if the pickguard was left off of it.

Maiden69 Posted on Nov 18 2004, 01:17 PM

theres an inboard tunner on the neck?

I wonder how he does that.....I couldn't figure out what it was until I got to that page!! I love the acoustics with onboard tuners (Takamine, etc) and always wanted one on a bass but I don't know if I'd ever use it on an electric. I'm so used to stomping on my TU2 pedal I'd probably be too confused if it wasn't there on the ground and I had to actually THINK....where's that tuner again?!?! :D

gorgeous. the bass i've been working on designing follows similar lines (that massive horn is cool, yes...but it doesn't need to be THAT long...), and i love the "smooth, sharp" look it has. very...very modern.

as for the lightwaves, i only wish i could find one in a local store to check out, 'cause i'll be honest, i'm very picky about my pickups. MEC-II's are sweet, some bartolini's (yes...i said some...i don't like all of them...), but other than the odd, "whoa...when'd this get in stock and how much is it?" backroom of the music shop find, i find that pickups usually just kinda force me into a world where i'm restricted by them. i'd like to try more stuff and AT LEAST a different kind of pickup.

and those tuning heads are just plain sweet...i don't care what anyone says...they are hot and a half.

the tuner in the neck...hmm...i don't know...i suppose if it was done expertly it would be cool. i have a very small (1/8" long, 1/32" wide, 1/64") ding on the back of my neck that i haven't had a chance to drop some laquer into yet, and it drives me crazy. a small bump around the tuner on my hand and thumb would probably force me to kill myself. perhaps he could move it to the side of the body? make use of that massively huge horn? i'd have to talk to the guy to find out.

finally, what's with the "each bass is molded to your body" thing? does he use his dentristy skills to cast you, then uses his ergodynamic engineering training to craft a body that would fit perfectly up against you?

not to rip on the guy. i would buy one in less than a heartbeat, i'd just have to find out about those things first.

but they truly are gorgeous...i have now altered my list of "basses i would be willing to buy now that i have the bass i love" from 3 up to 4.

4) Warwick Corvette FNA

3) Bassurgury

2) Warwick Streamer Stage II

1) Warwick Infinity LTD 2000