All 'eastern' Maple Hard Rock?

generally speaking yes, there is a difference in the feel of the wood and in the weight between hard and soft maple, also you can use curly/ tiger stripe maple and birdseye for necks both of which come from eastern hard rock maple

MzI

I'm sorry but you're wrong, Appalachian Maple is eastern maple however is isn't hard maple. The only hard maple in Sugar maple

Soft maple can very well be used for a neck contrary to common belief. You have to get a quatersawn blank though and to be on the safe side it is good to laminate it with a stripe or too of a real hardwood like Bubinga or Wenge. That said I will never use soft maple for a neck again though because it sounds to mellow for my taste and has not enough attack and bite for my taste.

yes maple maples maples tried to figure this out a while ago...

just a point:

Flamed maple can be from hard, soft or big leaf maple.

Birdseye can be had in a lot of different types of wood, but is mostly in hardrock sugar maples, at least thats what you see it in guitars...

Quilted maple generally comes from western bigleaf maple, although I have seen some eastern maple that looks like quilted maple.

You can make necks out of most of those woods, just depends on the variables... thickness, laminating it, carbon... etc.

PRS quilted tops are from bigleaf

Gibson tops are usually from sugar maples.

You can make necks out of most of those woods, just depends on the variables... thickness, laminating it, carbon... etc.

Not really if you are aiming for a certain sound. I can only stress again that soft maple sounds very mellow and dampens the high frequencies if used for a neck even if you laminate it with real hardwoods. If you aim for a dull/mellow sound ok, but if you don't beware. I learned it the hard way....

Just to clarify, there are hard and soft maples growing in the eastern U.S. "Eastern" is a pretty non-descript term.

Now you've got the idea! It is a fairly generic term. The hard maple tends to grow in the colder climates like the upper areas of Michigan and New England. Much of the softer curly maple (red and several other varieties) grows east of the Appalatian Mts in easter PA and New York.

Edited by tdog

Not really if you are aiming for a certain sound. I can only stress again that soft maple sounds very mellow and dampens the high frequencies if used for a neck even if you laminate it with real hardwoods. If you aim for a dull/mellow sound ok, but if you don't beware. I learned it the hard way....

very very true! I stand corrected

I have noticed neck wood makes a large differences in the tone... its a combo of all of them I guess I just meant strength...