Painting Chrome

The Sandman

Take it to a bumper shop that can send it to be de chromed, then paint it with any good metal paint. Even just rustoleum out of a rattle can will work once the chrome is gone.

how much would that cost to have it dechromed? and would you have to clear it afterwards (im assuming a yes on that second question)

Take it to a bumper shop that can send it to be de chromed, then paint it with any good metal paint.  Even just rustoleum out of a rattle can will work once the chrome is gone.

how much would that cost to have it dechromed? and would you have to clear it afterwards (im assuming a yes on that second question)

Last time I had something dechromed it was 2 motorcycle fenders and it cost me I think about $80.

You don't HAVE to clear it depending on what type of paint you use, but it would make it more durable. Powder coating would be a good option as well, even for solid black, probably get that done for about $50.

Unfortunately, you can't just chrome aluminum. IIRC, you have to plate it with zinc, and then it can be chromed. And it's not easily de-chromed. I would think that you would need some polish in addition to a buffing wheel, but that also depends on the nature of the aluminum. If it's an aluminum alloy, it's probably fairly hard to buff without a little help with some appropriate polishing compound. "Pure" aluminum would probably buff up real shiny without much help... :D