What Is A Good Bass Head

Anathema

Go to the local music shop and play 'em all...that's the only way to get what you consider good....all of our ears our different and great tone to me may sound like cow manure splashing on the ground to you.........

It really depends on what he will be using it for......If it's for playing around in the house a good combo amp from most any of the big names will do.

If he's gigging and needs good sound and volume to go with it.........IMO Ampeg all the way. I have an SVT3PRO head......my cab's are Ampeg 4x10 and a Fender 115 Pro with an Eminence 15" in it.

The SWR rigs are great for the cash and sound good in home or gigging....It all really depends on what you're using it for and even more important how much you want to spend.

i hate SWR. they just sound fake and cheap.

for full bottom and more punch and drive than you could ever imagine, check out Warwick's line of Pro FET's. as you said, price doesn't really matter, so aim high.

Mesa Boogie makes some killer rigs, as well. again, more drive than you could shake a ten foot stick at...

Ampeg are very good sounding, but you have to choose 'em carefully. some of 'em sound like you took your bass and stuck it in a subwoofer box for a car (no definition, just BOOM! BOOM BOOM!), while others have such a clear midrange, you'll want to put your MusicMan away for the rest of your life. find something in between there, though, and you're gonna have an amp you'll be very happy with for a long time.

I am personally not very impressed with the Ampegs I have played, or the SWR's. Maybe that's just me though!

I love, I repeat, LOVE my Hartke bass head. It's got just the tone I like, and it's versatile too.

If you have no expense limit, then Mesa Boogie is a great option. Way out of my price range, though.

Basically what it comes down to is to try every amp with every speaker you can get your hands on, no matter how much it pisses off the Guitar Center employees. :D Find what sounds best to YOU, and go with it.

Basically what it comes down to is to try every amp with every speaker you can get your hands on, no matter how much it pisses off the Guitar Center employees.  Find what sounds best to YOU, and go with it.

Well said. As you can see from all the answers in this thread: Ask 6 guys what they think is the best head and you'll get 6 different answer. Sound is subjective, find your own sound.

Ampeg SVT IV Pro... damn sweet versatile and powerful. I had the 4004 SWR, volume nor tone impressed me at all- I ended up blowing it after about four years. I only paid $350 for it so it was worth the money though. I think that a tube preamp is the way to go. Eden has some stuff out there as well.

PEace,

Ryan

i do not know anything aobut bass amps. my freind was wondering what a good bass amp head was. there isnt any real price range lol. his mom disowned him so he gets 500 dollars a month fomr her its great. anyways we just wannna know a good stack or something thanks

i dont know about a head, but a great cabinet is a peavey 3620, its two 18" and two 10 inch speakers, actually, a good combo, which is hard to find nowadays, is a swr redhead 800 watt 15" combo, they are feckin rare, my bassists uncle had one