Ooops the creation of a legend

Brian

Got a call from my regional DiMarzio Rep today checking in to see how things were going. During the course of the conversation I mentioned the need for 7 string trim rings. I told him I have checked with all of the standard suppliers such as AllParts and WD and even a few off the wall suppliers and haven't been able to find them anywhere yet I keep getting request's for them.

He turned and asked somebody in the office about them and came back and told me hold on Larry's in the kitchen he would like to talk to you. Since I had just woke up my mind was a little off wondering ok who's Larry :D turns out it was Larry DiMarzio the founder and owner :D

Anyway we had a nice long conversation about the industry and projects I'm working on for the future (Yes I'm actually working on a project guitar for NASA). We talked about photography which is his passion and mine as well since I attended the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale back in the late 70's/early 80's for it as well as Bobbin Toppers which he has an interest in.

Then I ribbed him about one of the threads I saw in the Les Paul forum about the double cream pickups. His comeback was funny but I also learned about the creation/misteak of the double cream and zebra humbuckers I didn't know.

Seems back in the day (yes he and I both use "back in the day" a lot), he was in a rush to get out an order for Gibson and they had run out of the standard plastic material used for creating the black pickup bobbins. Well since this was really no biggie because the pickups were covered with a nickle cover that was not suppose to be removed they decided to use up the material they had been using for the trim rings to make the bobbins.

Turns out at that time a lot of guitar players were experimenting with removing the cover so they could get the pole pieces closer to the strings for a different tone. When some of them removed the covers they got a supprise B) funky looking pickups which were either double creams or cream on one side and black on the other.

Word got out about this and they quickly became a popular item, seems that the hidden solution to a problem became such a high demand item he took a patent to it so he could keep the main request all to his own and that why today the only company that manufactures a double cream pickup is and will be DiMarzio :D

Oh and to follow up, don't look for 7 string trim rings in the very near future but yes one day they will come about :D

• 8 months later...

hye brian you can make a mold off a standard pickup ring, and make your own.. al though its not the easiest thing in the world it isnt' really that dificult, maybe a tutorial on this ??? i was doing a mold for a wah gear anyway let me konw

hye brian you can make a mold off a standard pickup ring, and make your own.. al though its not the easiest thing in the world it isnt' really that dificult, maybe a tutorial on this ??? i was doing a mold for a wah gear anyway let me konw

I'm very interested in this idea. What is the mould made from and what would you pour in it? If you can do this for a pickup ring could you do it for other plastic components (control knobs, pickup bobbins, etc.)?

i did a knob tutoria..(text only ) on the diy forum. i will see if i can find it and email it to bryan as my geocities site bandwidth is always over loaded. i am in the process of making some wah gears for a guy and i will be offering them to anyone who wants them at cost.

some ideas if you want to make your own knobs.. they make these great little 30day pill dividers at the dollar tree and they are big enough to use as molds for different knobs..

glad you are having fun with itb :D