History of the electric guitar

Brian

• 3 years later...

I found the history of the electric guitar very good. You can't move on to the future without understanding the past. You have to know where you come from to map a solid path to where you're going.
I own a '72 Tele. It was blond and in unplayable condition. Someone had already messed with it's electronics and replaced the pots etc... I haven't played it in about 12 years. One day I brought it out to show some friends and hey winced when thay saw how bad of shape it was in. I was going to buy a new one when I got the money but after some debate I decided to refurbish the Tele I already had.
Anyway I stripped the paint and stained and polyurethaned it. I put all new hardware on it (american standard bridge) with the 5 position selector switch the noiseless pickups and rewired it. I love that guitar now and play it all the time.
It's like playing a blast from the past. It was the first electric guitar I ever owned and I missed playing it. But now it's even better than ever. With some new technology and old body and neck I've got the best of both worlds.

[url="http://www.logmonster.com/images/full/?pic=DSC00010_1143831016-422-10328.jpg"]http://www.logmonster.com/images/full/?pic...6-422-10328.jpg[/url]

hey, that's a pretty entertaining report on electric guitars. i like how they give you a sample of the music they're talking about as they go. pretty fun. i actually went to the rock and roll hall of fame in cleveland last summer. neat place. they have all the ollldd guitars there like les paul's "log" and whatnot. neat stuff. though, i've got to say. out front, they have three of jerry garcia's guitars there. rosebud, tiger, and... uh... the other one. anyway, those guitars are amazing. blew my mind. joe satriani's chrome radius or whatever is there too. man.... uh. what was i talking about?

If you are interested go hunt down a book simply named "Guitar" by Terry Burrows. It takes you from the 15th century lute right up to the present, lots of good pics and very good details about who did what, where and when. :D

Lloyd Loar worked for Gibson from 1919 to 1924. During that time he had a prototype made for an electric standup bass but the bosses nixed the idea figuring it was too outlandish. As far as I know he was to first when it comes to the use of coil wound pickups.

Edited by Southpa