My Latest Projest

My latest project was turning a $89 musicians friend special into a fair replica of a 1960 Gibson SG TV. I replaced the humbucker with a Kent Armstrong P90, cut the second horn on the body and painted it with re Ranch TV yellow paint. I know its not exact, but it will have to do until I can afford a real vintage one.

Before:

http://stageleftguitars.com/db2/00167/stag...es/jrbefore.jpg

After:

http://stageleftguitars.com/db2/00167/stag...ages/after2.jpg

Looks a little off like you say, but the thing that pops out a bit is the P90, there is somenthing about it that don't look right. Why didn't you went with the translucent finish like the ReRanch LP? Did the wood on the Jr wasn't good enough? I thinkl this could be a decent project for after Christmas.

Well, I suppose that "Limited Lifetime Warranty" is void now...

How does that axe play, anyhow? I've been thinking about buying one to butcher up something cheap. I don't live too far from the MF Clearance Center in KC, so I can probably get a beat-up up one for about $50.

I fear the cutaways don't look quite right.

I think I'm right in saying that the cutaways of the single-cut are shaped more or less like a regular LP body, while on the double-cut the cutaways are shaped completely differently. So just removing the top cutaway of a double-cut won't make it look like a double-cut. Maybe a bit of re-shaping to the cutaways would give you what you want.

Still, it looks pretty nice as it is - great job!

Edited by Steve Luke

Thanks for the comments. I knew from the start this was a comprimise project, but I a pleased with the way it turned out. The sound of this thing is amazing, its got all that P90 crunch. The neck is suprisingly good considering the price. It has moved up to be my number 1 guitar. I usually play with a medium action, not real high, but not what I would consider low either....but this just naturally set up with really low action, and I have to say i like it.

Now to answer questions, The shape of the cutaways are accurate, what makes them look different are the fillets by the neck pocket. I didn't want to remove too much material there, I knew that would be different, the originals are set neck and this is a bolt on......didn't want to weaken the neck joint. That one change does dramatically alter the appearance. As far as the P90 goes.....must be the angle or the lighting, it looks "right" in person and its one thing I didn't modify. I couldn't go with a trans finish...the body is plywood.....the originals were actually a solid color....the grain "bled" through over time.

Over all I have to say it turned out to be what I expected, its close, not perfect, but sounds and plays fantastic. Ater all the modification and paint its still came in at under $200.

George