Help With Dye/stain And Coloring Epoxy

Hi. I am working on a SAGA strat copy kit right now, and i would like to refinish it. I have already stained it, but the stain had a few scratches, so i sanded it off. Then, i found out that this has the worst sanding sealer on it, so i just painted it. I suck at painting, and the job sucked, so iwant to sand it down, strip the paint, and dye the body blue. I have the LMII blue dye, and i am getting satin poly for the neck and body. However, i am guessing that i will need to put down a sanding sealer before i dye the guitar because of the uneven sealer already on the body. Is this correct? Also, there is a small flaw in the headstock that i feel gives the guitar some character, but i would like the headstock to be flat, so i want to fill it with colored epoxy. Could i just add a little of the LMII dye to the epoxy and mix it in? Thanks. Neal

If you want to dye the body blue, and have it look good, then you are going to have to sand that bad puppy all the way back to 100% pure raw bare wood, leaving not a -trace- of any previous finish or sealer or anything left on it.

Most great jobs are achieved in the PREP stages.

The prep stage is where all the hard work is, and most of the time if you want a good job you cannot avoid the hard work involved in prepping the body properly.

Drak is 100% right on this, but for a Saga kit, I think it's way too much work, what I would do is seal it with the sanding sealer and then use a clear finish that you can tint, or use the blue metalcast from duplicolor like I did here . The end result as you can see is pretty decent and in my case, staining Ash would have been a nightmare.

It's a SAGA strat kit, no veneer, just ugly wood. I don't like spraying, as i'm no good at it, so i guess it'll either be a colored stain, just a matte finish, or a dye over sanding sealer, and we'll see how it looks. Im ready to do lots o' sandin :D Anybody got any hints on how to color epoxy?

Thanks. Neal

PS: Algee, that body looks real nice. Keep up the good work

• 2 years later...
It's a SAGA strat kit, no veneer, just ugly wood. I don't like spraying, as i'm no good at it, so i guess it'll either be a colored stain, just a matte finish, or a dye over sanding sealer, and we'll see how it looks. Im ready to do lots o' sandin :D Anybody got any hints on how to color epoxy?

Thanks. Neal

PS: Algee, that body looks real nice. Keep up the good work

It it a pain to dye the sanding sealer?