Anyone Good At Cad?

Yeh, i just found out i suck at CAD, and i need a drawing done, the thing is its a custom design so i cant just find one on the net. So baisicly i was wondering weather anyone here would be kind enough to do it for me.

Picture67.jpg

That it. The dimensions are 530mm from the bottom to the top horn, and 350mm at its widest point.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Marzocchi705

I am able to draw in CAD, but I have no time at the moment(due to university tests :D). But if you want a good cad drawing of that guitar you would have to give the person drawing it a way more detailed drawing(with measurements). With the drawing you provided there is most everything unclear. And the lines are not clean enough to simply take them as a reference and scale it to correct size later.

OK, i have a detaild drawing. Is this any good?

Detaild Drawing

Dimensions: The neck pocket is 54mm wide, the distance from the bottom of the body to the top of the neck pocket is 422mm, the distance from the bottom of the body to the top of the left horn is 530mm, at its widest point it is 350mm, at its thinest point it is 222mm. If you need more info just ask, i dont know what dimensions you need, thats the only ones i could think are vital.

Please ignore the pick-up routing locations in the drawing.

check this out, If you like it I will email you the dxf or whatever format you want. My numbers came out real close to what you had but my drawing came out 8mm wider across the lower bout. I also just roughed in around the neck pocket because I didn't have any dimensions to go from

guitdxf.JPG

Hope it works for you :D

Ooops, Just saw your new drawing. I probably don't have time to redo the drawing today. If no one else does it today, I'll try again tomorrow

Edited by jer7440

since i have no cad knowledge, this is something i could probably use too.

Picture17.jpg

from the "cutout"(right side) area to the horn it measures just shy of 23(probably about 22 9/10) cm (cant remember the mm conversion for the life of me, sorry), the widest area is 24 1/2 cm. if im doing this wrong or whatever then sorry, but id love to see the cad drawing. i have a fullsize paper cutout that im measuring it from since the pic is a bit off (i trimmed the horn down a lot, looks more like the lower horn on an ibanez) when i find the cam, ill post a new pic. thanks

jer7440 - Received this morning, thanks a bunch.

Hotrock - This first one is a prototype, the i can get my tech teacher to modify the drawing for me (he couldnt do it, thats why i asked here) Were getting some new tools in the department, and a 3D computer router is one of them, i spose that the same as CNC. This one is being cut out in a band saw and routed by hand. Im kind of a guinea pig, more people are building guitars for there final exam in wood work now, so he wants me to find good methods and what not. Another reason for the CAD is we need to produce a working drawing, witch is done in CAD. I never took graph comm so i dont know how to use it.

Anyway, im goin to make my template now. :D

Furry muff,

Good luck with it (both of you). I'm currently CADing up a National resonator to be laser cut. What I've done is draw a multi coloured grid on AutoCAD and printed it out full scale. I have a cardboard template of the guitar and I've stuck it onto the grid so that I can plot it out on the computer. Keeps making my eyes go funny though B) so it's taking a bit longer than I expected.

Anyway, good luck with it. I didn't get to build an axe in design and technology. I cast a load of nuts for rock climbing instead :D

Inf1d3l,

You need to take another picture of your pencil line drawing and you need to be straight on to it. Your first picture is on an angle and I cant get a very accurate drawing off of it. You also need to darken up your pencil lines as much as possible, without making huge fat lines.

Get a better pic up and I will see if I have time to draw it.

Jer

P.S. Are you going to CNC this thing?

Hotrock,

How are you taking what you have on the graph paper and putting it into your cad system? Also what software are you using? Is a national resonator flat or will it need to be formed somehow after laser cutting?

MASSIVE POST WARNING.......

.......YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :D

Create a grid on AutoCAD (I’m using AutoCAD 2004 BTW, but this is going to be standard for all AutoCAD packages. My grid starts off with having red lines every 40mm (horizontally and vertically). Each of these large squares is dissected by a green line (horizontally and vertically) through the centre, splitting the larger squares into four small squares), each one of these smaller squares is dissected (horizontally and vertically) by black lines……. I’ve kept repeating my grid down to 5mm squares. I printed this out on A3 paper at 1:1 scale. The guitar is a bit bigger than an A3 sheet, so I had to stick a few together.

I drew around the body of the resonator on cardboard to create a template. I didn’t draw it straight onto the grid (because I want to keep the template for future use, needed something a bit more versatile than paper). As the guitar is symmetrical I only draw around one half of it, marking a very clear (and accurate) centre line. I very carefully cut out the template.

I have taped the template to the paper with the grid on making sure that the centre line is very accurately lined up with one of the red lines on the grid. Now you can load up the grid that you created on AutoCAD. Now you can check every point horizontally and vertically and make a mark on your drawing (it will help if the snap setting is enabled and that you have also selected “snap to nearest” setting). You can then connect all the points using the “spline” command.

I found this method very tedious, boring and confusing, it also kept making my eyes go funny, so…..

….. I have kept the template taped to the drawing and now I take a measurement from the centre line to the edge of the template, using the grid lines to make sure that I’m measuring square. I then plot this distance on autoCAD at 5mm intervals along the centre line. You can make a quick line to the right length on AutoCAD by simply selecting “line”, clicking on the start point of the line, moving the mouse in the correct direction for the line and then typing in the distance and hitting enter. I then joined the tips of all these lines using the “spline” command.

To do the sides of the axe (as typically the guitar is fatter at the back than the front). I marked out 25mm intervals on a long piece of masking tape (well actually someone else did this bit). He very, very carefully lined the bottom of this tape with the centre line of the sides of the guitar and stuck it round the entire length. He then measured the height of the side at each one of the intervals and drew it full size on a bit of paper. All I’ve got to do is transfer those measurements onto AutoCAD. Should be boring but effective (I’ve been putting it off for the last week). This was necessary as the sides do not see a uniform drop in thickness as they do not travel in a straight line.

The first couple of guitars will be flat backed as we will be testing joining the sides etc. Then after a bit of trickery (either from myself, but more likely from a Solid Edge (or Pro Engineer) boffin – one of my mates) we’ll probably 3D model it so that we can but the curve on the back and then work out the new shape of the back that will be needed.

Hope this rather long essay helps a little. If you need anything else then give me a shout.

Kaj

I'm getting a £2,000 resonator for it.

Well, I guess that would definitely increase ones dedication to a project :D

Damn right it does B)

He's a link to my mate that I'm doing it for (people will think I'm trying to plug him soon :D )

www.deltaresonatorguitars.co.uk they're currently all wood construction but not for long :D . If you have a look then check out the sound clips because it’s him who’s playing them.

BTW. If anyone has any drawings in pdf format then I cannow convert pdf to dxf format for AutoCAD (I can also do the same for GIS systems, DWF, TIF, GIF etc. Infact I've found out how to convert any raster image into vector format). I'm sure it will be handy to someone.

Kaj