Scalloping Fretboard

Lizard_King

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me a few of the advantages and disadvantages of having a scalloped fretboard. I'm interested in doing this to a couple of my guitars basically because I like the look of a scalloped board, but I would like to know some pros and cons of it before I dig in and do something I might not like. :D

well basicly the pros is

1 it looks cool

2 it makes it so you cant feel the board (some claim it makes them faster)

cons:

1 it makes playing a chord in tune VERY hard, so If you want to just play lead it helps, but rythem players hate it (hence why some people scallop the upp frets but leave the lowers untouched)

thats all the cons I can think of

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me a few of the advantages and disadvantages of having a scalloped fretboard. I'm interested in doing this to a couple of my guitars basically because I like the look of a scalloped board, but I would like to know some pros and cons of it before I dig in and do something I might not like. :D

Scalloping gives you a really nice intimate feel with the strings. You really feel like you have much more control over the strings. Bends are much easier since you can get a nice grip on the string and there is no FB friction to speak of.

I don't find them to feel any faster, if anything maybe a little slower. As mentioned above, you need to use a light technique to keep chords or any note for that matter in tune. This is a technique you should follow anyway.

You don't need much scalloping to get the results. 1/16" is a good place to start.