Electric Ukulele

I've had the flu for 5 days now, and I'm going stir crazy, so I've been working on designs for future guitars. I was looking at some dimensions on the Watson Bailey site when I saw "Ukulele Plans" at the bottom of the screen.

Hmmm... if a I built a ukulele, I could practice building a neck with a tilt-back head (at minimal cost), plus practice installing frets... and if I made it a solid body electric, I could practice making my own pickups...

And what seemed like a silly idea has turned into a serious plan.

euk-idea.gif

The thing I like the most (and the thing that I'm curious to try out) is the bar that I designed; if you pull up, a full length cam bends all 4 strings, but if you push down, a different cam bends only the G string. I'm not sure if I would have to make a locking nut to go with this... so I would love some input from players who like to yank and bend their strings. (The arm, among other things, was left out of the side-view for clarity.)

EDIT: I moved the cam over to the C string; it's heavier, and should sound better when bending up a half or whole step.

Since I really want to build the bass guitar I'm designing, this may sit on the shelf for a bit... but I am serious about building this little monster. If this design will work, I have to make it happen.

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink

I've got a cheap baritone uke. It's tuned DGBE, just like standard tuning on the top strings of a guitar. It's easy to pick up and play. With the standard nylon and wound strings, they stick more on the plastic nut than my guitar. I don't know if that's an inherently uke thing or just my cheapo. I'd guess that you'd want a locking/roller nut and really slippery/roller saddles.

Standard ukuleles use nylon strings and don't have truss rods. If you go with steel strings, you'll have to fabricate a rod or find one for a mandolin. Specimen Products makes a cool electric uke, they describe as "Les Paul style".

You could stick with nylon strings and use a piezo pickup. A guy made his own "silent uke" with his own DIY piezo pickup. If you're interested in ukulele stuff, in general, Ukulelia is a good place to find out about ukes and to see what's new.

and really slippery/roller saddles.

I was thinking about fabricating the intonation bar out of chrome-moly; it's smooth and tough... which makes it a little tedious to work on. I wonder if anybody has made/used a chrome-moly nut.

I appreciate the idea about using a mandolin truss rod. I'll check those out.

D~s

Or you could throw in a good jazz pickup at the neck, and a searing humbucker at the bridge for some seriously mean uke work!

In all seriousness, though, this is a very cool idea. Why, though, would you want to bend only one string? Besides that aspect, are you going with more of a Bigbsy trem or a Strat trem type design?

I really like this idea, but my only concern is that it's getting progressively further from ukehood, and will end up only as a mini guitar in a weird tuning. That's cool if that's what you want, but an all out electric uke should be IMO recognizable by sound, at least, as a uke.

Why, though, would you want to bend only one string?

Standard tuning on a Concert scale uke is A5-E5-C5-G5; bending that low C up a step should sound cool, and may work well in certain chords. (Haven't you ever seen a guitar with a B-bender?) The bar is actually an idea I got from looking at a Gretch; that rig has a round bar with the strings wrapped around it (it relieves the string tension on the forward push)... and I thought I could do better than that.

The more I contemplate this, the more I think those cams will have to be a lot smaller, or they'll probably break strings. I may just remove metal from the rods, instead of using a welder to build up the cams.

my only concern is that it's getting progressively further from ukehood

I just see this as an opportunity to experiment. I'm not a huge fan of ukes; I have never even played one. But this looked like a neat platform to try out several ideas; I can build a killer ukulele out of a piece of wood that's 18 x 8 x 1½... and have have quite a bit of scrap left over.

And I can learn a lot from this.

An' I can be just like that there Billionaire.

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink