First Project

Hello All. I used to post here a while back when I first started my project but havn't been around in a fair few months. In that time, however, I've made a significant amount of progress. Here she is...

000_0197.jpg

000_0198.jpg

000_0199.jpg

Basically a strat but with material finished mahogany body, 22 fret neck contoured heal, through body stringing and (in the next couple of weeks) a Brian May style switching system.

Any feedback/advice greatly appreciated...

Is there a reason behind the unconventional cavity?

When I got the body the cavities were slightly different; the control cavity was about twice as narrow, so I widened it to accomode standard electronics. The cavity in the lower horn was also deeper so I filled it in a little as I thought it was unnecessary. Really I should have shortened the control cavity by an inch or so so the scratch plate looks a bit more balanced, but at least I have plenty space for additional circuitry and such like should I need it...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Generally you just clamp the neck into the neck pocket and drill small hole where you want them. If its a premade neck, you could either fill the holes and redrill, or what I would do is put like a nail or something into the screw holes in the neck, position the neck and then clamp. Once you take the neck off, you could see where the nails embedded into the wood in the bottom of the neck pocket.

what I would do is put like a nail or something into the screw holes in the neck, position the neck and then clamp.

Yeah, that's more or less the way I did it...

Cheers for the compliments, like I say there'll be better pictures once I've got the new knobs and pickup covers for her...