Cable Length

Alexander

Hi all,

Just idly wondering what length cable you use - I was reading something that said to keep your cable length as short as possible, especially between axe and pedalboard/amp. I have a bad habit of buying long (20ft) leads and was wondering exactly how much of a difference, if any, I'd notice by using shorter (10ft) leads.

:D

The longer the cable the higher the capacity. You loose highs and volume. Additionally the longer the cable the more noise it can pick up due to it's bigger surface. Both facts are derived from simple pysical laws and cannot be changed. However the better the cable and connections the less noise and loss in highs and volume. In my opinion it depends on the situation. If you do a studio recording where the sound is most important use as short cables as possible. Live it's way more important to be able to move arround than to prevent a slight loss of highs. If you want to hear the effect easily just plug a guitar with weak pickups in an distorted amp channel. With a longer cable you can easily hear the loss of gain/distortion.