Replacing An Unknown Cap

unclej

i'm replacing all of the caps in the alamo bass amp that i've been working on. one of the power tubes has a big ole honkin' wire wound that has no markings on it at all. without the schematic (which i still haven't found) how would you know what to replace it with?

like lovekraft said that'll be a resistor not a cap. its that size because it'll be for biasing the power tubes and so will need to deal with alot of power. i would have thought a wire wound would be fine to keep and wouldnt change value much but im happy to be proven wrong lol

What I meant was, given an unknown cap, how do you tell what it is? I understand there is a meter to check capacitance, but an old cap may not correspond to color codes or may not have legible markings on it. Combine this with the possibility of the old cap no longer performing up to snuff, and I don't see how one tells what the value of the old cap is. Put another way, if you are given an old cap with no writing or colors that you can determine anything by, how do you find its original value?

...if you are given an old cap with no writing or colors that you can determine anything by, how do you find its original value?

If you don't have a schematic, you'll have to guess, based on what the cap does (coupling cap, cathode bypass, power supply filter, etc.), and how it fits into the rest of the circuit (context is everything) - for instance, if you're familiar with classic Fender amps, you can probably guess correctly about power cap values because the power supplies are so similar, and coupling, cathode bypass and tone stack caps can be adjusted to personal taste. In general, the only caps that drift badly or fail with age are tantalums, paper/oil and electrolytics - ceramics and micas (and film caps, but you don't find them in old amps) are pretty stable, so unless they're obviously dead, replacement is usually elective.