What Can You Tell Me About Emg 91's?

ChrisDee

hey dudes

i recently fitted my RG 1570 with an EMG 81 active in the bridge

now im a warm sweet, smooth legato man myself and i really only use the neck pup, and ive been in the market lookin to change my stock RG neck pup for sumthin smooth and warm and generally sweet

ive been lookin at the EMG 91 Active and i just wanted to noe wat u guys thought of its sound

i cant understand y every1 prefers to use the bridge, its so twangy and harsh and its got no balls, the only pro's is its harmonic abilities

certain types of music require bridge position pickups to get the desired sound.

metal for example.

i would say for high gain metal the neck pickup is mushy and has no attack.

everyone is different,and the sooner you learn that,the happier you will be

yeh i used to b a bridge pickup spam back in the day, but call me a bitch or watever the neck is just more creamy and smooth

for someone who says "back in the day" you certainly don't seem very wise :D

Both the bridge and neck positions have their place, all depending on what sort of sound ou want to get... Im a metalhead, but im by no means a bridge pickup spam as you put it, and i certainly don't think the bridge pickup has no balls, its all balls, its got HUGE balls :D

When it comes to metal, using the neck pickup for most crushing metal mayhem is like trying to go for a jog in quicksand... get up on the pavement man!

your too narrow minded - accept you use different things for different sounds... B) neither one is better or worse

yeah, i used to be all about the neck+mid on my strat, and then i started getting more into punk than jazz, and slowly but surely, the mid alone, then the mid+bridge, then the bridge, and finally a bridge humbucker found its way to my guitar. that doesn't mean i think the neck is too warm or mushy. when i play blues, i'm on that pup like flies on stink.

the bridge has its place. the neck has its place. some people like different things than you do. settle, el capitán.

i use everything, i noe wat u dudes r saying "variety is the spice of life" and yeh in this case the differing tones offered by each respective pup is no exclusion to the case in point. however the only reason i brought up the fact everyone is into the bridge pip is because on every pickup website about 70% of the pups offered r intended for the bridge.

now back to wat i was saying, i play jazz fusion type stuff ala. shawn lane (well i try but no1 cood ever play like him) and even petrucci's legato tone is orgasmic, can any1 offer any advice about the EMG 60 and 85?? taking into account i do play metal, but its not my desired sound if u get wat i mean. i basically want an active pup thats sensitive and sweet for fast legato passages

Wes is one of the most experienced people here with regard to EMG pickups, so its little wonder I think he is right on this. The EMG 85 would be most suited to what your after I think.

Only owninng one guitar now with EMG's I dont have the greatest of experience, but it seems to me that the EMG 60 is a bit punchier and middy than the 85, which makes it a bit of a different beast really. The way I see it is (and this is pretty messed up probably) that if I had an all mahogany guitar I would probably give thought to the EMG 60 or EMG 60A in the neck, however for almost anything else, I would be going the EMG 85.

So in the end... despite not being entirely sure on the properties of basswood (assuming thats whats in your RG), I would say your looking for the 85 and not the 60 anyway.

Edit:

Also, on second thought (and your going to need some more advice on this from someone like wes or others), you will probably find the going a bit tougher again since you are looking for a pickup that will do an equally good job of Jazz and Metal... especially in the EMG range, of which im not sure of hte popularity with Jazz players?

Not knowing enough about jazz to judge, but do jazz players use single coils commonly? If so maybe the EMG 89 might be a path to consider - it is basically an 85 humbucker and the SA single coil in one humbucker sized casing.

an emg 60 is a bright pickup...not warm and sweet...

good for other things...possibly even humbucker based blues...if your idea of blues is screaming highs and a crisp,sharp tone

even with an 85 jazz is a stretch...but you said jazz/fusion...which leads me to think you mean high gain guitar based on jazz scales

but jazz is NOT my area.but i think your amp is going to play a bigger role than the pickup will...but the 85 is a good place to start i think