Online Luthier Shops In Europe?

kench

I'm living in Istanbul and I would like to know if there are any luthier supply shops like Stew-Mac, LMII and Warmoth working in Europe.. I couldn't find any...

If there are.. it will reduce the shipping costs dramatically..:D

Not necessarily true....seems like most luthery suppliers here get their stuff from the US anyway, so you already pay their markup on customs, etc. And delivery within Europe is sometimes more expensive than from the US.

Since Turkey isn't part of the EU (yet) you're going to have to pay customs no matter where the supplies come from...

Turkey is a member of Customs Union since 1995.. so there is no custom taxes from EU countries.. and even from the other countries that have agreement with EU... and USA is one of them. (In fact, this Custom Union thing is something I'm totally against to)

And the shipping costs of the products I've purchased from UK were around 50% cheaper and 4 times faster than USA.

But if the suppliers add the shipping cost on their sale prices, for the products that shipped from US or overseas.. you are right.. that would not do a good reduce.

Thanks for the replies..

Unfortunately.. yes.. the prices are mostly higher than US. But I will check them out more..

Hey Kench,

For most parts, I find ebay Germany is a good place to buy (I'm in France)...prices are usually very reasonable, and shipping isn't expensive. Dunno about luthier's supplies, but there are people selling tonewoods, etc.

Prices in the UK are obscene, given the choice I'll order from the states and not worry about the shipping, since it's still cheaper than paying the UK prices!

EG - Chrome Rotamatics from WD UK - £40.

Chrome Rotamatics from WD USA - $51.60 - That's £ 26.70 !!!

Chrome tune-a-matic from WD UK - £21.50

Chrome tune-a-matic from WD USA - $30 - that's £ 15.52 !!!

Can you save around 1/3rd with cheaper shipping?!?! If not, stick with the US suppliers :D

Yes Setch.. you are so right.. I checked some prices on those websites and it is still clever to order from US. I was expecting it but I haven't realized the price difference would be that huuuge!

For the tonewoods, it is still a good idea to get them from local stores.. As wood is cheaper than US or Europe here... Plus you can actually see and pick them. But you have to search a little more for a good seasoned timber. So is Titebond, its much cheaper in the timber stores.

Rockinger.com has reasonable prices for German made hardware though, like Schaller... And saw nice prices in truss-rods, etc... But the rest is still expensive.

I wish there was a supplier for luthier tools and guitar hardware in Europe with US prices..:D.. well at least close to US prices.