Scale Length Without A Neck?

Hmmm, darn good question and could be a difficult one to resolve. Bring the body down to a local guitar shop and start making comparisons. I know you can't take necks off their show room guitars to test fit :D , but you could lay your warlock body down beside some samples. Then take some measurements. You are looking for a comparison guitar that has the same distance from the bridge to the leading edge of the neck pocket as yours. I would install the bridge you want to use on the warlock body first. At least you will be able to match up the scale length. But you will also have to match up the neck heel dimensions, ie. width, depth and length to get a proper fit to your neck pocket. If the dimensions aren't to standard specs you will have to contact Carvin (or whoever builds and sells necks, I wouldn't know as I build my own) for a custom job.

Edited by Southpa

Comparing is your best bet. I'd measure a stock SG, or something else with a similar scale length. Aren't there standard 'Fender' and 'Gibson' lengths that are the yardstick for everything else?

Remember, measuring the neck from nut to 12th fret gives half the neck's scale. measuring from 12th fret to the heel and subtracting that from the former gives you the distance your body must measure from heel pocket to bridge.

A body could be used with different necks to give different scales, but a neck has to have a body of a certain size (assuming the bridge position is fixed). Problem is, when you order necks you get the overall dimensions and the number of frets, like "22-fret neck with 25 1/2" scale length" and I don't know what that translates to in actual length.

My guess is the guy who built it used some guitar body as a template. Get SG drawings and see if yours is standard Gibson dimensions. If so, you're home free. If not, I would get a neck with the same number of frets and try measuring it, and work from there as a guide. To be sure, try making a paper neck and seeing how many frets you'd get with your body.

Typically on Fender & Gibson electrics the neck joins the body at the 16th fret; search the net for Warlocks, on a 24-fret bolt-on model that I found, it appears that the neck joins the body at the 18th fret. If you know which fret the top edge of the neck pocket lines up with, then you can get the scale length by measuring from there to the saddles.

Problem is...you don't yet know where the saddles sit.

Thanks for all the help guys. I can't dowel the body, it's solid aircraft aluminum, to dowel it would be very difficult without some major tools. I think Drak ans SouthPA is on to something and I'll try that out on Monday. The only problem is I can't get in touch with the guy who built it so comparing to other guitars should help. Thanks everyone for the help and info.

Thanks,

Sam