Jem Body

gun

Hi guys I hope this isn't an unpopular question but I must do it. I want to start my first project guitar, I already posted a topic on swirling. Now I must choose where to buy my JEM body. I seen JEM body at BRT guitars for 90$, why does it cost 250$ from ADT? Is it only for its popularity? Or there are differences? And this body on ebay? eBay link Does anybody has an ash or mahogany JEM body? Thanks

Happy new year and.....guitar!!! :D

I will be the one to acknowledge your post by saying: what the heck is a JEM body? If this is your first guitar building project you probly need to look at a good kit or follow the reccomendations of people who are up on what you already have decided on. Wanted to respond to put your post back on top of the list for others to look at so ignore my lack of knowledge on the topic at hand. You deserve input from the guys that know what you are asking and they ARE on this forum. They know a bunch!!

That's kind of like asking why does one car dealer sell model Jem-a and another model Jem-b, they look the same but there is so much difference in the price, well perhaps one is a reseller and another manufactured it. When it comes to manufacturing there can be differences in cost as well depending on the machinery used and the quality of the wood which will add or take away from the cost as well.

Your best bet is to ask yourself if your going to swirl it then what kind of wood do I want under the paint because the originals were mainly Basswood from what I understand but some have surfaced with other woods hiding under there.

Thanks Brian, the original body is basswood, ok. I already have a JEM 7BSB in basswood. I would buy for swirl an alder or mahogany body. On ADT there are many different woods and bodies, I think, are ready to swirl. Or do you think the better thing is swirl a basswood body?

Or do you think the better thing is swirl a basswood body?

Paint is paint is paint....nothing more, nothing less........body wood is whole animal.

The type of body wood (in combo with neck wood) will determine the sound coloring of your guitar.

So it all depends what kinda guitar you're after. More warm sounding......go for the Mahogany........more clear and bright.....go for Alder. Basswood.......somewhere in the middle.......and as you already have a basswood guitar, you might wanna try something different. Alder will be lighter guitar than Mahogany......also something to consider.

And quality of work on that evil-bay link seems okay, imho. (but then again you have to wait what they ship out to you.)

Edited by RGGR

Thanks guy, I would try the mahogany body. Sure I want to try a different wood 'cause I already have a basswood body. Also to me the work on link seems to be OK. But also I like clean and bright sound of alder. It's hard to choose!!! :D What should be your choice?

P.S. Very funny "Evil - Bay" !!!! B)

The guy from your auction link was a top level Ibanez employee, perhaps their single most valuable asset throughout their most innovative times. That would be where I would buy my Jem body without question. Plus you're getting a price break because he thinks they're "paint grade" and you're going to swirl it anyway.