Fretting Bound Necks

im not completely sure about this one, but i would get epoxy or some super glue type stuff in an injectible syringe type thingee and squirt a little dab under the fet ends and press them down. ive never done this but i think it would work. or you could use a tooth pick too. id wait and see what anyone else has to say tho, as im not sure on this.

1. Overbend the fret so it's radius is greater than the board's.

2. Once the fret is seated along it's length, give the very ends a sharp tap with a your fretting hammer. This will bend them a little more, closing any tiny gaps at the end.

3. Turn your neck or fretboard face down, and apply a drop of CA glue to each overhanging fret end, so that capillary action sucks it in. With care the glue will all be drawn into the area between the fret and the binding, and the very end of the fret slot.

If you do these three things, your ends should stay down. If you get the odd fret that simply refuses to stay down, wick CA under the end 1/8" and quickly wipe away any excess with an acetone soaked cloth whilst pushing down on the fret with a dowel or other wooden scrap. Hold it until you're sure it's cured. If that doesn't do it, get an axe, a can of petrol, and some matches... :D

It could be that when you cut the tang at the ends you didn't get a clean cut, or the fret may have got bent up in the process. Another thing you really have to watch is the fret slots near the binding. You have to make sure no glue found its way into the fret slot near the binding. Another possibility could be that when you radiused the board the slots became too shallow at the edges. Really you need to check a fret and inspect it and it's slot to know for sure. I guess it could also be that the fret wire was not bent strong enough for the radius of the board (under bent). I hope that helps. BTW- Be careful not to damage the board removing or trying to push the frets down.

:D

1.  Overbend the fret so it's radius is greater than the board's.

The other way around though. The fret's radius should be smaller than the radius of the fretboard. [Edit] Which is what would be called overbending. Underbending would be what you said, thus the opposite of what I said. [/Edit]

Edited by G_urr_A