Strat Bodies

hey fellas im new. my question is on the strat body topic. what is the difference between mexican, american, and squiers{japan it hink}?? are they all alder? is it basically just the name on it or is there really a difference. im talking about the body alone. no electronics or necks or knobs or paint or anyhting else. thanks

the craig

Just body woods, you mean? As I understand it, Mexican strats have either 2-3 piece bodies, American either 1 or 2 pieces, and Squiers are either plywood (i.e. affinity series) or 3+ piece bodies. There is also the possibility that the body is poplar, or swamp ash (only clear coat, however).

The Americans are either alder or swamp ash.

I think the body woods in the Mexican strats have changed over time. MIMs used to be alder, and I think sometime in the mid-late 90s they switched to poplar.

I have no idea on the Japanese (MIJ) Strats.

The oldest Squiers (late 80s) were made in Japan. The newer ones are made in Korea out of agathis or plywood (unless you get a Delonge Squier which is alder).

It's a bit of a mess really...

New MIMs are four to seven piece alder with an alder veneer on top. The route is H-S-S.

My 1995 MIM is four piece poplar, no veneer, H-S-S route.

New American models are two or three piece ash or alder, no veneer, H-S-H route.

Pre-2001 Americans are two to six piece alder, ash or alder veneer, universal (swimming pool) route.

Everything else like the China and Indonesian Squiers and Fenders are plywood, usually either S-S-S or universal route, depending on the vendor, mostly Samick.

Japanese Strats are S-S-S route, usually high-quality pieces with two or three piece bodies. Wood varies, Foto-Flame Strats were also Japanese. Most have been made in the Gakki factory with other popular Jap brands like ESP and Ibanez.

All Mexican and American bodies and necks are made in Corona, CA, and the Mexican components are shipped south for finishing and assembly. A Mexican neck will feel similar to an American neck, except that it has vintage frets instead of the larger and easier-to-play medium jumbos Fender installs on the AS Strats.

There are not only differences in wood and pickup routes but also in the shape. There are too many different squiers on the market for me to really know which was made where, etc. What I know for sure is that on many cheaper models the armrest countour and some other details are routed very blocky and not round at all. On the really cheap models the armrest is not following a curve but is simply a plane cut into the body at an angle.

crafty is dead on about the Fender stuff, but not about the squier stuff. The Chinese Made Affinity models are alder, not sure how many pieces, but are not plywood and the Squier Standards are made out of agathis. Only the real cheap squiers are made out of plywood (the modern bullets).

Also, regarding the MIM strat bodies, we need to clarify Standard series vs. Classic series, as I believe the classics are three piece bodies.

Thanks for the correction. Last time I saw an old Affinity in the MF Clearance Center in pieces it looked like plywood. My bad. Must've been something else, although I do admit that I tend not to pay much attention to Squiers. Why bother?

Also, I forgot to mention that the difference between the necks on American and Mexican Fenders is a little more than the fret size. The American necks have dual-action truss rods and micro-tilt. Mexican necks don't have these features, although I'm not sure if they've ever made the three-bolt instruments in Mexico, in which case those would be equipped with micro-tilt, too. American necks are also 9.5 radius, I think most of the Mexicans are 7.5 vintage.

In short, if you buy a Standard MIM Strat, it will be like buying a vintage technology instrument. The American Standards tend to have all of the modern upgrades such as knife-edge trems, noiseless pickups, no-load tone, larger frets, and on and on.