A Player's Style

skye

Are you a fresh batch of style or something original?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, first let me explain what I mean- cite off some of your influences and explain how they have crafted your style. Include what's shaped your tone, your fav gear, and your dream rig!

To begin, I've been playing for two years but have only recently become moderately skilled enough to pay any kind of homage to my heroes but, my biggest influences have been (in order of GtL impact) Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Dimebag and Miles Davis (though he's not a guitar hero).

Hendrix and Stevie ray brought to me that (inimitable) but subtle, round tone (that I have at long last coaxed out of my Peavey RAGE) minus the reverb that they used so beautifully in both the original and covered Little Wing and The Wind Cries Mary. Put simply, crank the tone on the amp all the way up, on the guitar, all the way down for the neck pup on your strat, and pour your soul into it.

Dimebag showed me first that pentatonics aren't dead, but are, in fact, the coolest scales ever when you blaze on em. (Put some shred in your warm single coil tone and you'll know what I mean).

And finally, Miles Davis, with his at times eccentric jazz, inspired a very open, improv-without-borders thought pattern in me, allowing me to see how outside tones (and relative major scales) work so well over minor romps (and vice-versa).

And, in that last point, I would so love a Marshall JCM 800, no master vol but healthy, hearty reverb and a '57 Strat reissue (left handed if I can get it customized).

R+R please!

Well, I have an interesting lineup of influences. First and foremost, Justin Chancellor from Tool has recently inspired me quite a bit. His bass parts are simply amazing, at times completely different from what is going on with the guitar, and yet it still fits in. Another influence of mine is Jason Newstead (former bassist for Metallica). I just liked his driving bass work.

And now here is where it deviates a bit. For the past few years I have been an avid listener of Primus. If you have heard Primus, you know how amazing bassist Les Claypool is, as well as how unconventional and, at times, rather silly he is. Les is the only bassist that I know of that plays flamenco bass. That, coupled with his two-hand tapping, puts him right near the top of my list.

Another influence of my bass playing, while not a specific player, has made a huge impact on my style. For 3 years I was in my highschool jazz band, and there I learned about jazz, swing, rock, and even funk bass. Without jazz band, I probably wouldn't know a single walking bassline. :D

oh man, jazz band, yes I so know what you mean. They don't have any slots for the elec guitar in mine, and the bassist is taken, but I get to listen to the guy teach a lot and I'd give anything to be in that.

(am I mistaken or) doesn't Stanley Jordan have that very two-hand-tapping bass style as well?

Though I listen to music covering a lot of genres ranging from the 50s to present I would say my influences on guitar are Tom Morello from RATM, Danny Cavanagh from Anathema, Andrew Craighan from My Dying Bride, lead guitarist from Blind Guardian (too lazy to look up his name lol), and Nightwish (all of it in general). I am not one of those super crazy lick guitar holics (malmsteen for example) I like slow riffs with lots of sustain and once in a while a crazy solo, but not slow enough to like bands where they drop tune their instrument and barre 4 notes in a verse, and a chorus and call it a song. I play in C# tunning thanks to My dying bride for a few reasons - when I play in standard and try to create stuff it always sounds similar to a song i've heard somewhere and it becomes quite frusterating, with a few of my favoite Anathema songs they've inspired me to create tunes with heavy dark clean in verses and crushing riffs with powerchords in choruses, and Nightwish has inspired me because I just love the idea of having multiple instruments with guitars even though it's probably considered nu-metal - (gotta love her voice, anyone know if shes good live like on her album? sorry to go off-topic). Tom Morello I just find amazing with what he can do with effects, he's very creative and i think it would be funny to see him do a battle versus a DJ or something :D and I like Blind Guardian's guitarist because it sounds renissance almost.

One other guitar player I forgot to mention was Jeff Martin from the tea party. The latest album I don't even want to try because the singles were terrible, but in the earlier days he could do some pretty awesome guitar licks and I like the multi-instruments again.

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

As I play more than just guitar (ah the joys of doubling and then some), the list gets a bit shakey. Ill try and keep it brief. Probably help if I describe my style a bit, mainly jazz/funk but from a classical grounding having done the hole Tarrega/Sor shebang.

Influences:

John Coltrane - Not a guitarist, but everyone could learn something about phrasing and solo development from that man.

Leroi Moore /David Labruyere - Bit of a tie for DMB's saxophonist and Mayer's bassist. Fundamental point here is to be able to give something to the music, without taking it over. If you listen to any of these guy's work, you kind of notice the complexity of David's lines, but that they don't scream "Hey, Dig me" over the rest of the band. This has helped me greatly having been in numerous big bands over the years.

John Mayer - May be a bit pop-y, but the kid can play. Has quite heavily influenced my tone and style. Gotta love the SRV influence. Kinda turned me over to strats for most of my work.

Orchestra Baobab - Can't remember or spell the guitarist's names. The thing I love about african music is that they generally play at a lower volume, meaning the guitarists can solo in lower registers clearly. Something I try to do where possible, as it really is a much nicer tone.

Dream Rig:

57' Strat - Got one from the 80's. Stuck a Texas Special in the middle. Live in either the middle and middle/neck. I like the tone this puts out, great for big band work and blues. Has easily become my main axe. Think SRV's Lenny tone. Love that sound he gets on pull offs, almost glassy.

Gibson ES-137 - Still working on getting one. Is a must for small combo work and seeing how the masters of the trade got it done.

Great thread

Dave