Building A New Neck For A Factory Guitar

I am building a guitar right now. But I also have a factory guitar that I love but dont like the neck for. Do you think I should spend like $50 bucks on some curly maple to make a new neck? If so what do yall think about this wood? it's prety cool. It's over 100 years old and has SUPER tight grain.

I cant find any actual wood for sale on that site. Judging from their focus on architecture you might be hard pressed to get enough for just a neck from them. Stewmac and Warmoth sell neck blanks from $15 up.

I say go bananas. As you long as you keep the original neck you can't go wrong, unless you end up really not liking the new neck you build, but it's still a good learning experience. If money isn't a big issue I would definitely encourage you to go for it.

Godin I would say that there is nothing to stop you. If you don't like the neck on your factory guitar, make one that you do like. Isn't that what we are all really about here ? To learn how make beautiful instruments that meet everything that we want in one ?

I have an old cheapo Strat copy by Mako, that is pretty much ruined ( after I screwed it up years ago routing the body for a Floyd Rose trem and making some pretty nasty holes in the neck for the lock nut). But I have decided that I am going to fill in the body route with some scrap Maple and build new neck on something like a 24 " scale. That way my son will have a guitar that will be much easier for his smaller hands to learn on.

This guitar is really useless right now, but I think I can make it a playable instrument again, and it has sentimental value as it was the first electric guitar I ever owned.

So I say go for it and do like me, use this opportunity to gain experience like sirk said and hone your craft at little or no cost !

Edited by Fender4me