Strabocaster!

Even though I've got the next Bocaster lined up --it's going to be a Bocaster Thinline S/S with Bigsby, I might take time out instead to pursue this:

strabocaster1Medium.jpg

Partly because I need that Strat sound too sometimes....I've already picked up a Strat clone but it turns out to be made of plywood :D so I'll have to sell it on and get something else (I prefer alder to ash, but there's a poplar guitar I'm looking at too)...hoping to get started on this by next month...

Making the logo will be easy for this one --It ain't a StraTocaster, it's a StraBocaster! I'm going to pick up waterslide paper this time around though....

Oh yeah, and this one is definitely going to be blue...but that nice light blue Fender used to use....

Only thing I need to work out is how to make the pickguard --might have to make something from scratch instead of adapting an existing strat guard...

B)

i love your ideas. crazy, but thats why i love them. dont mean to hijak but have you ever made an actual bo diddly guitar, like his real one? isnt it just like a gretsch corvette with a square body and binding?

Well, I started out with the idea of making Bo Diddley copy -- couldn't afford the Gretsch version (and I hate gold hardware) and those Synchromatics aren't worth the price. Besides, I like single coils.

And then, well, I didn't like it that there's no access to the upper frets. And the original is kind of long --maybe Bo's a big guy, but I'm just average size...that thing would dwarf me...(I thought the story was he took the neck off a Gretsch and built his own body?)

And then, well, I'm an artist after all, there's no point in me copying other people's designs -- but I want to keep the hommage to the Bo guitar....and along the way tip my hat to Fender, who made rock n' roll fun after all....

For the strat lovers among you --I'm not using real Fenders for these projects (I'm tempted, but don't have the bucks for that right now)...so you can breathe easier. What I'm doing is modifying cheap clone guitars and replace the electronics with Fender stuff....there's something real satisfying about chopping up a guitar...

I need to make myself a bass too, all I have here right now is my old Univox Hi-flyer...

I'd be REAL tempted to do Bockenbacker ....but that would start getting into a kitsch thing....

But once I get my skills up, I'll probably make a full rectangular guitar from scratch --just to see if I can...

yeah his original one was his own doing. but later on gretsch built him a few different models in rectangle bodies. ive always thought it was just a corvette setup, pretty much the same as my double jet. id imagine you could do that to just about any guitar type. a bockenbacker would be awesome. id say one day go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just picked up some nice chunks of ash (leftovers from a friend's bookshelf project)...enough to glue up two or three body blanks...so the Strabocaster is going to the top of the line.

The ash is nice n' dry, about 3.5 cm thick, right now I'm cutting out a few planks and I'll thickness plane those and run them through the jointer. All I have for cutting with is a jigsaw, and that takes a long while...even managed to snap a blade....

Meanwhile I've been practicing using the router...I really suck at that!

But I'll need to be able to cut the neck pocket. I'm also going to route the body out as hollow as I can get it (leaving a solid center core). And I have some bookmatched maple pieces coming in, though I don't know yet if they're for the front or the back 'or both).

I have a really nice neck here, came from an old Applause strat, has this nice jumbo frets. And I'm working on getting hold of Fender pickups and electronics.

For a pickguard, I'm going to take my inspiration from those great Reverend guitars. I'm tempted to make the pickguard out of metal....I have an idea for a sound hole too....

Man.....enough of these rectangular guitars!  :D

I don't want to critizise your work or ideas....its just that I wonder if these guitars are at least somewhat comfortable to play....

Yeah, I'm wondering too...the first Bocaster is still drying...it's been about three weeks now, I want to give it at least another week (you can still smell the clear coat a little).

Before doing the finish though, I attached the neck and put a strap on there to check the balance, and that part is just fine. As for playability...well, it's not all that different from the telecaster --it's just lower, so there's not as much of an arm rest. If that becomes a problem, I'm sure I'll figure out a cool attachment.

For the Strabocaster, I'll be carving the sides a bit to be somewhat like a strat shape.

As for the square part...I realize that those strat-style guitars (prs, ibanez, etc) are all the rage around here. But personally, I think they're ugly as hell --the reason I never bothered to pick up a strat before is 'cause I just don't like the way they look. And I wouldn't be caught dead lugging around one of those metal guitars.

Anyway, I'm only making three Bocasters --the Bocaster I, the Bocaster Thinline and the Strabocaster (which will also be semi-hollow).

And then I'll move on. I promise... B)

Been drooling over a Reverend Wolfman lately....

As for the square part...I realize that those strat-style guitars (prs, ibanez, etc) are all the rage around here. But personally, I think they're ugly as hell --the reason I never bothered to pick up a strat before is 'cause I just don't like the way they look. 

i hear ya. i'm the same way with strats and LPs. overrated, i think.