Guitar Fx Software

mullmuzzler

theres a free one guitar fx (www.guitarfx.net) and theres one you can buy guitar rig (don't know any links). I have both. Here are some pros cons about each:

GFX Pros

Theres virtually endless end products you can make

There's barely any delay

GFX cons

Sometimes when I press stop, it restarts my computer. I don't know if this is a result of my computer or the program but its quite annoying.

It takes a long time to get the hang of it

Guitar Rig Pros

You can record fairly easy on it

You can use it as a plug in or an amp modeling program

Real Amp Brand simulations (e.g. Marshall, Vox, Fender, Mesa Boogie) although they have different names for them probably due to copywright issues

Very realistic

Guitar Rig cons

If you have a slow/ old system you get a clicking sound when playing live (i.e. not using as plugin)

Some feedback

A lot of background static

Bad noisegate

Money

Overall I prefer vst plugins for rhythm, and guitar rig for lead, mainly because gutiar rig has a killer lead preset (its called endless sutain, you do the math). The reason I don't like guitar rig for rhythm is because there is way to much background static. I also like guitar rig because you can open up a sound clip in it and apply an amp or effect and re-record it.

I have an extended trial version of Guitar Rig and am not too impressed so far. Im certainly not going to shell out $450 for it. The magazine reviews for guitar rig have been less than glowing as well.

Guitar Rig is made by Native Instruments.

Ampilitube also has a plug in and stand alone version that I have yet to try.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried way too many to bother listing them all in detail here but in general I've found the VST-based plugins to be the most useful for me. IK Multimedia's "Amplitube" was one of the first major commercially-available software-based amp modelling programs and still remains one of the better ones. Native Instruments' "Guitar Rig II" is similar to Amplitube but offers different enough options to warrant looking at separately and it has a rack-based interface which some people might find more appealing as opposed to Amplitube's fixed-sequence interface. Green Machine Amp II looks very confusing and amateurish at first compared to the two afore-mentioned products but it is cable of a very cool sound of its own once you've spent 5 minutes or so poking around all the dials on offer. If you really just want something straight-forward there's Nomad Factory "Rock Amp Legends" which offers a very basic interface resembling a simple Marshall head and still produces a fairly nice sound. reFX's "Slayer 2" is an attempt at a digital guitar which sounds rather poor but there is a separate "SlayerFX" package which basically acts like a set of effect pedals with a very easy-to-use interface and you can chain up to 8 (?) effects in any order you want. No amp/cabinet/etc modelling though. My most higly recommended one is "WarpVST" though. It doesn't have the complexity or flexibility of "Guitar Rig", doesn't have the extreme simplicity and ease-of-use of "Rock Amp Legends", doesn't have any built-in effects, but the amp modelling is simply the most realistic and sonically pleasing of any software solution I've ever tried.

The best thing you can do is use multiple of them since no one product is a one-size-fits-all solution. For most of my demo recordings for my solo CD I've used a VST chain as follows-

-direct input

-Amplitube (only for the overdrive mostly, sometimes for the wah chorus and stereo delay effects. I don't use any of the amp/cab/etc modelling)

-parametric eq

-WarpVST (awesome amplifier simulation)

If I could justify the cost of Guitar Rig II for the room simulation alone I'd add that to the end of the chain but it's just not worth it for what little I'd use it for. Once I pull my finger out and buy a rackmount V-Amp I'll be scrapping Amplitube and WarpVST from the chain too though. Behringer's V-Amp is an astounding hardware solution with awesome connectivity and sound quality which rivals (and in my opinion) exceeds even the pricey Line 6 Pod Pro XT, all for the cost most software-based plug-ins.

I'd generally steer clear of stand-alone solutions. Amplitube has a stand-alone version but as far as I'm aware it's only available for Mac so I haven't been able to try it. Programs like "Guitar FX Processor" offer very poor results not only in sound in general but in terms of things like latency and interoperability with other programs. If you want a software solution, go with VST plugins (or DXi if that tickles your fancy) and a decent VST host. Even though I mostly compose and perform hard rock and metal I still use Fruityloops which is intended as a dance/trance/techno/etc platform. Why? Because it's simple and it works, and it's a breeze to knock up backing tracks in a hurry for playing around with ideas in my head. I've tried Cakewalk, Audition etc and they always seem to need a minor diploma to do anything productive with.

So *deep breath* sorry for the long post. In summary if you want a software solution I'd recommend-

CoolEdit Pro (for recording raw tracks. Simple and it works)

Fruityloops 5 (for arranging and mixing or just for running plugins while you jam away live. Powerful, supports VST and DXi, easy to use, tonnes of features)

Amplitube (for effects and amp simulation. Great range of sounds, many downloadable presets of famous guitarists' rigs, easy to use)

...and if you're still not happy, throw in WarpVST as well (GREAT sound quality. Most I've shown can't tell it apart from a real amp)

My 2 cents--

Warp has a good sound. It's dated, has very few features, and has no presets. But it's direct and to the point and sounds good. And best of all? Because it's a discontinued product if you're lucky you can still grab it at Long and McQuade for the low price of $36.

Green Machine Amp II is the one I turn to most often, though it has its own sound. The models are based loosely on a Mesa Boogie and a... Marshall? though not closely enough for that to be a direct comparison. What's cool about it is that you are able to come up with your own tones.

Some of the presets are a bit "digital" sounding because of the stepped filter. Turning off the filter can help out with that. B)

Amplitube LE / Live (they both come together now) only contains 3 amp models, but it's cost-effective, sounds good, and includes a Vox AC-30, a Marshall, and a Clean (Fender I guess) model, which covers an awful lot of ground. :D

If you're rich, watch out for Amplitube 2, just announced at NAMM.

Greg