Fretless guitar

once on this forum a guy made a suggestion to cut fret slots as normal but instead of frets put in a piece of different colored wood and sand it flush.i don't remember who made it but i thought it was a cool idea.

some bass makers used to do this - I remember some Wal basses with them.

:D

i have played a fretless guitar before. i have to tell you that it drove me nuts, i had the hardest time just playing chords. i rely on the frets to find my way around, because i don't look at the fret board when i play. plus when i would play anything when a tough chord, forget it. i think you should go down to guitar center (if you have one around) and pick up a ripley fretless and just give it a go. i hated it personally, but then again i play guitars with ginormous frets.

as far as a metal fret board, i think that would rule, so long as i could get frets :D

I think it would be cool to have an ebony fingerboard with jetblack fretwires so it would look like a fretless, because they look cool, but play with frets.

sounds cool but where would you get the black fretwire?some people use other materials such as glass.maybe black glass?

most instruments have the dots on the side, like how most guitars have dots on the face of the neck and on the sides.

if you want to hear a fretless guitar in action listen to the artist known as "bumble foot." he was featured about a year back in the british guitar magazine guitar techniques. he's on the album, "the alchemists," which is a compilation of many guitar musicians with different styles (mainly shredders). i own the album and it is pretty good. bumble foot's song is really unique.