Uk Rattle Can Supplier/recommendations

Alexander

Hello folks,

I'm about to start my first ever refinish, so I've been reading up on all the great resources here at PG.

What I'm struggling to find however, is a good place to buy paint and clear gloss in the UK, and what brands people would recommend, given the availability over here.

I'd really appreciate any experience or info you could give me.

Edited by Alexander

Hello folks,

I'm about to start my first ever refinish, so I've been reading up on all the great resources here at PG.

What I'm struggling to find however, is a good place to buy paint and clear gloss in the UK, and what brands people would recommend, given the availability over here.

I go to my local car paint factors where he mixes up whatever colour i want. This IS a more expensive way of doing things as a big can can cost around £12 !!! but saying that clear nitro / primer's etc are around £3.95 a can and it gives a much better finish than the stuff you get at Halfords or the like.

Jem

Ah but wouldn't i need to get some kind of spray gun for that? That's a bit out of my league, I was meaning primarily rattle cans - sorry I should have been more clear.

Alexander,

Bathink was saying that you can go to an auto paints dealer, do a search on the net or look in the local yellow pages. Some places can custom mix a colour for you, then stick it in a spray can. I've paid about £7-8 in the past for this. The paint is normally a lot better quality than Halfords acrylic stuff and the spray nozzles are normally very good too (they give a fan type spray pattern rather than the usual 'splodge').

genbloke

Alexander,

That's exactly what i meant, a lot of auto paint suppliers will be able to mix any colour you want, within reason, and stuff it into a spray can and echo'ing Genbloke the quality of paint (and nozzle) is far far FAR better than the crud you get at Halfords etc. Well put it this way, a VERY knowledgable Hamer collector enquired at what point Hamer did a Rising Sun graphic and was a bit put out when i told him i'd done the refin with car paint out of cans...take your time and the results can be quite remarkable.

Jem.

Edited by Batfink

Alexander,

That's exactly what i meant, a lot of auto paint suppliers will be able to mix any colour you want, within reason, and stuff it into a spray can and echo'ing Genbloke the quality of paint (and nozzle) is far far FAR better than the crud you get at Halfords etc. Well put it this way, a VERY knowledgable Hamer collector enquired at what point Hamer did a Rising Sun graphic and was a bit put out when i told him i'd done the refin with car paint out of cans...take your time and the results can be quite remarkable.

Jem.

I never knew that! That's great advice, I'm going to look into that.

Mark - thanks a lot, checking that out too.

You guys rawk!

Edited by Alexander