Trem To...no Trem?

I'm not sure if your willing to put in this much work, but Brian wrote a tutorial that covers converting a floyd style tremolo (on an RG i think) to a hardtail. The process he goes through could be used on any trem conversion though.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tht1.htm

ok, but does this change the cavity so i can put in a fixed bridge? because from what im reading it wont do that...or maybe im just stupid

No, but it essentially makes you're trem a fixed bridge kinda like the ibanez FX edge they use on the JS2000. It also gives you the option of returning to full trem use very quickly and easily.

(bowser is of course referring to the Tremol-No and not the pre-fab'd wood block)

The pre-fabricated wood chunk that you found is designed for Strat bodies. It will probably fit in an RG body, but you will have plenty of other sections to fill in order to attach a hardtail bridge properly and cleanly.

Thanks for posting the tutorial, Jivin. I totally forgot about that one.

Nothing like shamless self-promotion for a product that no one can actually buy yet... B)

I'm waiting with baited breath on the word from AllParts...

Hmmmmm, is that not somewhat the premise of this entire forum? I mean, every person on here promotes themselves. I don't see any problem with what Kevan is doing, I have 2 of the units and they're great, they should be promoted, how many years in advance does a car company start promoting their new ride before it's available?

At least Kev's got a hard solid product he's showing off, not just words like some members do :D

Nothing like shamless self-promotion for a product that no one can actually buy yet... :D

I'm waiting with baited breath on the word from AllParts...

Maybe you missed it in my first post, but before I mentioned the Tremol-No thread, I told NoMusicNoLife that the block wouldn't fit correctly in his RG project.

I'm here to help guys out with the knowledge I have. Sorry if my invention happens to be an option regarding the advice I post.

Shameless self-promotion? I'm missing it....completely...

Arrgghh!!! I hate the internet and this forum!!

Everyone thinks I'm being mean instead of sarcastic, so I start using little smileys that are cute and laughing. Still, people think I'm still being mean and rude!! What do I have to do here?!

Kevan, I was just kidding around. That's why I put the :D in there and was quite serious when I said I was eager for a manufacturer to put this unit on the market. No offense was intended here.

Jeremy, I'm not sure if your comment about "actual products" was being aimed at me or not. I'll just say I don't think it was. True, I don't build guitars from scratch nor do I have the means to do so at this time. I've never come up with a design as unique as Kevan's tremol-no nor do I really have the interest to do so right now. My experience comes from modifying and upgrading instruments owned by myself and my friends, certainly nothing that merits starting a new thread anyway. I don't even have a digital camera to take pictures of my random projects. I've also been working with wood and woodworking tools since I was five years old, even just a little sander, so I DO know what I'm talking about with woodworking, too. I've also been a musician longer than I've been a woodworker, so I know what works and what doesn't for materials and design.

Now that the pissing match is over, nomusicnolife, you're not stupid. The Tremol-No will not modify your guitar so you can mount a fixed bridge on the instrument. Instead, it will convert your bridge into a "fixed" bridge on the fly with the turn of a knob. However, the tone and sustain will never be the same as a fixed bridge because it's still a knife-edge trem; It's just locked into place. If you want to mount a permanent, string-through-body bridge, you'll have to fill the spring and block cavity with wood cut similar to the product you mentioned in your first post. I don't know of anyone who makes a pre-fab billet for your RG, so you'll probably have to get some sandpaper, a coping saw, glue, and some wood, preferably basswood, and make it yourself. Have fun

it amazes me how long it takes in this forum for a clear answer. so ill clarify things so as not to deter someone else from posting question ever again. so now the options are as follows and being shown off by our beautiful show model vanessa:

block the trem with wood(easy to reverse, still a knife edge)

fill the hole with a basswood plug and install a hardtail(hardtail sustain, irreversible without the use of a router and hours of work)

use a product that isnt available to the general public but hopefully soon will be if we all have any luck and god answers some of our pleas and prayers(may take a while for real results per my last sentence)

am i missing anything??

now play nicely everyone, this isnt harmony central

Edited by Meegs666

What do I have to do here?!

Just fix your signature to abide by the rules of the forum (max of 2 lines).

Kevan, I was just kidding around. That's why I put the  :D  in there and was quite serious when I said I was eager for a manufacturer to put this unit on the market. No offense was intended here.

No one is more eager than I am right now. I'm getting HAMMERED with emails. I can't imagine what it will be like a week from tomorrow.

It is hard to decipher things in print. Sometimes it's better not to say/type anything at all.

Meegs- his question was answered (a couple of times), in the first 4 posts. That's pretty quick in my book.

And for the record, as long as I'm here, I promise to NEVER EVER let this place become like H.C.

its just seems to me like lately one question leads to big discusiion about everything other than the question. thats why i dont even post my questions anymore i just pm someone who might know the answer. all everyone has to do to keep it from becoming a a heap like hc is keep the wandering and shennanigans down to a minumum. other than that this place has saved my life on may an occasion and im thankful i didnt have to go ask my churchs resident prs junkie who blabbers about bs he doesnt know about. if it wasnt for being on here i wouldve never even come close when building the guitars ive done.

Meegs- Not a bad idea, but think about this: If you pose your question to someone on PM, you deny the rest of the forum the solution to your issue. Also, you only get ONE option to that issue.

If you post the question, there are almost 3000 heads to come up with other ideas/solutions to what you posted.

And, someone else might have the same issue, so to see their situation posted will help them as well (and keep multiple posting down), and get even more people involved.

While this thread isn't the best example, I think we've done a pretty good job in the last few months about keeping things on topic and keeping the unncessary posts to a decent minimum. The Forum members/regulars/veterans have really helped with that (Thanks folks!). Yes- it's something we all need to work on, but so far, so good.

I'm glad to hear the Project Guitar Forum has helped you in the past. Maybe in the future you'll consider posting the question instead of PM'ing it.