Trem Posts: Determining Size Of Hole To Drill...

Sorry about another question. My Wilkinson trem has two posts that measure 5/16" at the bottom. It's the smooth section of the post. Then the striated part of the post that grips the wood when it's inserted is slightly wider. I'm assuming that I should drill a 5/16" hole so that the wider striated section really grabs. Am I right?

Thanks.

Dave

Yes, but check your 5/16 drill bit actually drills the correct size hole. Test in a sample piece first. It should be tight enough that you cant push it in without tapping lightly with a hammer. Slightly bevel the top edges of the hole to stop chipping when you have to remove the posts.

To me it depends on the wood. Some inserts actually flare out at the fluted section, so the bottom nib is useless in determining the hole size. Some flutes are big and sharp while others have soft ribs. So if you're going into basswood you can drill the smallest hole possible (without cracking the wood) because it can compress so much. Plus its good to compress the soft woods to stave off future tilting, from the string tension. But if you have a 1/2" Maple top, then you have to experiment with custom sized holes because the Maple will just crack before it does any real compressing.