Metalflake Aerosol Auto Paints

coolcat

Not that i'm any great authority on the subject but although you can get metallic colours in auto cans i don't think you'll find (well i've never seen it) metalflake in cans and i pressume this is because 1)..you'd need a larger nozzle than normal to allow the flake to actaully get out of the can and 2)..the can doesn't have enough pressure to keep up with the enlarged hole and get the stuff out cleanly.

As i said, i'm not expert and if someone does know a source i'll have a crack with my nect project !

Jem

Edited by Batfink

mirage makes some, as well. you can get those at just about any auto store.

when i go for a metallic finish and don't have the time or money to do it the real way, i grab a can of testors metal-flake. they make it in a ton of colors, and it looks amazing, as well as applies smooth as ice. i've had almost zero problems with it in the past when talking about orange peel or cracking.

Thanks for all the input, fellas!

I was wondering though - is the auto paint (acrylic enamel) compatible with the nitro clearcoat spray that Reranch sells for guitars?

Also, I have a shoreline gold guitar right now. Would it be best to sand it down to the wood, then spray it with a white basecoat of something then the metalflake gold? Or just sand off the clearcoat and spray right on top of the shorline gold then clearcoat it?

Thanks again for all your help!

Just curious...where do you find the Testors metal flake paint?

Thanks,

Steve

when i go for a metallic finish and don't have the time or money to do it the real way, i grab a can of testors metal-flake. they make it in a ton of colors, and it looks amazing, as well as applies smooth as ice. i've had almost zero problems with it in the past when talking about orange peel or cracking.

Just curious...where do you find the Testors metal flake paint?

Thanks,

Steve

hobby stores most of the time. they come in 8-12 oz. cans.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll go with the testors idea. As for clearcoating it when you're done, is there any compatibility issues with that nitrocellulose clearcoat spray that Reranch sells? What did you use for clearcoating it?

[G]

I think I'll go with the testors idea. As for clearcoating it when you're done, is there any compatibility issues with that nitrocellulose clearcoat spray that Reranch sells? What did you use for clearcoating it?

[G]

actually, i have never tried. i use something thinner than that, most of the time. i had a special clear made for me by a buddy at the paint shop. i can talk to him.

i would say the testors might crack wtih nitro, just because it's not designed to have such a heavy coat on top of it. i dunno if it helps, but i used C 144-19 Magnalac Semi-Gloss. go to your local paint store and ask about that.